Old 08-25-2013, 10:24 PM

Default broken first login: Call to lnusertemp failed
After successfully installing PC-BSD in a VirtualBox VM with two hard disks (GPT/4k/ZFS-Mirror), I get this error when trying to log into a KDE session:

Quote:
Call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full?). Check your installation.
Screenshot:

Once i press the "okay" button, I am back at KDM...

I *can* log into i3 (which is installed too).

Following some discussion on the web about the error message (mostly linux boards), I checked permission of /tmp and /var/tmp, which seem to be correct.
The error does not let me log in a KDE session.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Can you check "df -h" and be sure there is plenty of disk space? Also any errors in /var/log/messages?
Old 08-26-2013, 02:41 PM

Are you able to log in via console? I've faced the same issue, there seems to be something wrong with the pefs encryption of your home directory and the log in process in X. The only quite annoying solution I found to date is to log in via console first and then log in with GDM.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Did you enable home-directory encryption then? Did you do anything else post-install like changing the user password manually?
Old 08-26-2013, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by joe75 View Post
Are you able to log in via console? I've faced the same issue, there seems to be something wrong with the pefs encryption of your home directory and the log in process in X. The only quite annoying solution I found to date is to log in via console first and then log in with GDM.
Logon to console works (as well as logon via the display manager if I choose "i3" as session.

Logging out again, switching back to the display manager and trying to log in again yields the same error, though.

Originally Posted by kmoore134 View Post
Can you check "df -h" and be sure there is plenty of disk space? Also any errors in /var/log/messages?
Plenty of space (about 30 gigs) left. Screenshot of df -h:

Did you enable home-directory encryption then? Did you do anything else post-install like changing the user password manually?
YES, *encryption* is enabled. Sorry I did not mention that before.

And no, I did nothing except rebooting a few times to see if it helps.. I did not change anything post install. Straight first boot into login manager and I could not log in.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:02 PM

Odd, my first attempt to reply did not work. :-(
Here we go again.

Disk space looks fine (see ).
/var/log/messages looks boring to me. Some warnings with secure menory and powerd and some gdm greeter GTK warnings but that's it.

Originally Posted by joe75 View Post
Console logon works. Logging out of console, switching back to gui and trying to log in again does not. :-(

Yes, I did enabled home-directory encryption.
No, I did not change anything at all. This is a vanilla PC-BSD 9.2 installation straight from the dvd iso image.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Ok, this helps a lot

When you login as your user can you do a listing of your home-directory contents? Do they look scrambled/encrypted, or correct? You should have general things like "~/Desktop" Documents, etc.

If they look normal, maybe KDE config files are corrupted? Can you 'rm -rf ~/.kde4' and then re-login?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:56 PM

Ok, this helps a lot

When you login as your user can you do a listing of your home-directory contents? Do they look scrambled/encrypted, or correct? You should have general things like "~/Desktop" Documents, etc.
I think you got the the core of the issue. File looks scrambled, only a ".pefs.db" file looks normal, the rest looks like cryptic. Filenames all start with "." and after this they look like base64 encoded stuff.

There is no .kde4 or Desktop or anything which looks normal except that .prefs.db. "ls" without the "-a" option does not show anything.

A screenshot ls "ls -a" in ~:
Image hosted for free at CtrlV.in

I guess pefs was not mounted proberly upon login? Should it work via PEM or just via GUI? The screenshot comes from system console (ctrl+alt+f1).
Old 08-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Bingo, that's it. From your disk space output it looks like pefs is mounted properly. "Check output of 'mount'" to be double-sure. I'm guessing for some reason though it probably didn't like your password, maybe a special char that threw it into a tizzy? Would you be willing to send me what characters you used? You can e-mail it to 'kris@pcbsd.org' and I'll try to duplicate / fix the issue here.

In the meantime, you can create a new user by logging in as "root" from the CLI and using 'adduser'. Just be sure to add your user to the wheel,operators groups.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Ok, I think I found the issue here, perhaps from having a ` ' , " | or some other special char in your password / encryption key? It should be fixed in the next set of ISOs.