Old 03-04-2013, 05:52 AM

Default PC-BSD first rolling release feedback
Rolling releases are good idea. FreeBSD ports are outdated. There is sometimes year old ports.

I tried first rolling release iso but noticed that vmware video and vmmouse drivers are still outdated. Could you update xf86-video-vmware to 13.0.0 version and vmmouse to the same version.

There are newer vmware video and vmmouse drivers :

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/archive/...13.0.0.tar.bz2 (can be compiled with make or gmake (both work))

http://xorg.freedesktop.org/archive/...13.0.0.tar.bz2 (only gmake work(make and make install produce errors))

I compiled newer version of those myself and new vmware video is faster than old one. Currently pkgng and ports only include vmware video and vmmouse that are at the version 12.0.2_1. Those are outdated and old vmmouse doesn't work properly with newer PC-BSD versions. And also vmware tools kernel drivers compiling isn't working it is complaining missing freebsd kernel source. I did fetch system sources but it only fetched them up to freebsd 9 not 9.1. PC-BSD 9.1 stable vmware tools kernel drivers compile fine and don't complain missing kernel source.

Last edited by 7090; 03-04-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:37 AM

Ports are separate from the base system.

It's my understanding that the rolling release only upgrades the base system and PC-BSD specific packages. Use portmaster to upgrade existing ports.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Administrator

The rolling release will upgrade the ports and packages. We are going to try provide new packages every week.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:35 AM

It's good to see a pkgng repository available for PC-BSD users. FreeBSD users will have to wait longer for an official repo.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:17 PM

Default virtual box fails to load the OS after transition to rolling release
after a transition from stable to rolling release, here is what my virtual box shows when i start the VM
Quote:
VT-x features locked or unavailable in MSR. (VERR_VMX_MSR_LOCKED_OR_DISABLED).
do i need to make any changes or run any command ?

UPDATE:
I get the above error on KDE but in openbox i am able to boot into my virtual OS with ease...

Last edited by rvc; 04-08-2013 at 04:45 AM.