Old 03-23-2013, 04:47 PM

Default truecrypt
My backup procedure is based on disk encryption so I would like to request a TrueCrypt PBI. Or tc - but I see that there's a FreeBSD port for truecrypt and there doesn't appear to be a port for tc (an alternative implementation of TrueCrypt which I haven't tried but have seen recommended).

What I would really like is disk encryption with Linux compatibility, e.g., ext3 + cryptsetup. But from what I've seen so far, there appear to be problems even with ext2 access without encryption: if anything goes wrong, it seems the partition cannot be mounted again until an fsck is done, and there's no ext2 fsck in PCBSD (correct me if I'm wrong). I quite like some of the things in BSD, but filesystem incompatibility is one of several frustrations that keep me wondering whether I should switch back.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by etal View Post
My backup procedure is based on disk encryption so I would like to request a TrueCrypt PBI. Or tc - but I see that there's a FreeBSD port for truecrypt and there doesn't appear to be a port for tc (an alternative implementation of TrueCrypt which I haven't tried but have seen recommended).

What I would really like is disk encryption with Linux compatibility, e.g., ext3 + cryptsetup. But from what I've seen so far, there appear to be problems even with ext2 access without encryption: if anything goes wrong, it seems the partition cannot be mounted again until an fsck is done, and there's no ext2 fsck in PCBSD (correct me if I'm wrong). I quite like some of the things in BSD, but filesystem incompatibility is one of several frustrations that keep me wondering whether I should switch back.
You can install TrueCrypt by downloading the source from the TrueCrypt homepage, and placing it in usr/ports/distfiles. Then just navigate to /usr/ports/truecrypt and make install. I was able to open containers that I had made under Linux.

Eric