Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to bebuxe
Talking
Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
I disagree. Eclipse tries to be flexible enough to do anything, which makes it kinda bloated, but the packager wanted the standard installation to do anything which is *the* problem.
I disagree. I can live quite well with vim syntax highlighting, with my own custom rules:
http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/syntax.html
http://www.sbf5.com/~cduan/technical/vi/vi-4.shtml
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Fix_syntax_highlighting

And with macros, and gbd. Actually, vim is pretty much an IDE with the macros and shortcuts you make.

And Java is a big no no, when you only want C++. However, look at me complaining about OOP when we all know it is BS. Eclipse is great for people that love mice and headaches.

;tl;drv vim beats eclipse in all aspects eclipse is considered for.
YEIH! found the original song from the author herself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAcs5QLT4Ic
Old 11-26-2012, 03:39 PM

@bebuxe
I try to avoid getting involved in or starting online "preferences wars", so I will just say that this is about an Eclipse user trying to help us get the Eclipse PBI working better. If you would like to start an argument about "which editor is the best", I recommend that you start a new thread in the Lounge/Off-topic category: you will get a lot more interaction there.

@Abdul
If what you say is true (that you can add desired plugins from within the program itself), would you be willing to look through our PBI module[1] and let me know which plugins we do not need to include by default so that the total package size can get reduced? One note: First check your system to find out where the C++ plugin you installed later was placed. If it was installed into the local system (/usr/local/....) or the PBI directory (/usr/pbi/....) it will probably still need to be included in the PBI due to permission issues.

Thanks!

[1] http://trac.pcbsd.org/browser/pbi/mo...lipse/pbi.conf
The Following User Says Thank You to Beanpole For This Useful Post:
Abdul (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Beanpole View Post
@Abdul
If what you say is true (that you can add desired plugins from within the program itself), would you be willing to look through our PBI module[1] and let me know which plugins we do not need to include by default so that the total package size can get reduced? One note: First check your system to find out where the C++ plugin you installed later was placed. If it was installed into the local system (/usr/local/....) or the PBI directory (/usr/pbi/....) it will probably still need to be included in the PBI due to permission issues.

Thanks!

[1] http://trac.pcbsd.org/browser/pbi/mo...lipse/pbi.conf
Plugins get installed to /usr/home/username/.
I took a look at the conf, but don't know most names. I *guess* that they are all unnecessary, but I'll have to test it.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:23 PM

I am running some tests on the Eclipse PBI here (building it locally). I used a copy of the current module and removed all of the PBI_MKPORTAFTER entries except for four:
Quote:
x11-themes/qtcurve-gtk2 (for proper appearance)
java/eclipse-datatools (looks like an additional plugin framework from the eclipse project)
java/eclipse-webtools (another framework addition)
java/eclipse-langpack (for additional native language support)
All the rest of them looked like they were plugins (at least they looked like it from the descriptions), but I am going to check that once the PBI finishes building to see if they can be added to the program later through the plugin manager.

I will report back about any size difference for the PBI once it is finished.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:53 PM

The PBI I had building locally just finished, and it looks like cutting out those plugins dropped the Eclipe PBI from ~830MB to ~575MB.

I am still struggling to find out how to install the plugins using the program later though. Could you offer me some pointers about how to do it within Eclipse? I tried to get the C++ plugin loaded (Help Menu -> Install New Software) and then opened one of our development files, but it still did not seem that the syntax highlighting (i.e. the plugin) was working.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:48 PM

(Help Menu -> Install New Software) is the way.
Use http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/releases/indigo as the software site, install CDT and restart Eclipse.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 PM

So I did the following:
Help Menu -> Install New Software -> Select Indigo Site
Then I installed the following packages:
Programming Tools-> [Autotools support for CDT, C/C++ Development Tools, C/C++ Development Tools SDK, CDT Visual C++ Support]
I then restarted the program and opened up two files (a *.cpp and a *.h file): Syntax highlighting was not enabled for either of them.

I did some additional checking, and it looks like the plugins are getting added into the PBI directory (not the user's home dir) at <pbi-dir>/lib/eclipse/[plugins/ and features/]. It does not seem to matter if you are running the program with root permissions or not when installing plugins, since either way the plugin is registered as being installed. In either case though I did not see a new "perspective" available for the appropriate programming language (for syntax highlighting). Is there some other way of checking that the plugin is working properly?
Old 12-01-2012, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Beanpole View Post
So I did the following:
Help Menu -> Install New Software -> Select Indigo Site
Then I installed the following packages:
Programming Tools-> [Autotools support for CDT, C/C++ Development Tools, C/C++ Development Tools SDK, CDT Visual C++ Support]
I then restarted the program and opened up two files (a *.cpp and a *.h file): Syntax highlighting was not enabled for either of them.

I did some additional checking, and it looks like the plugins are getting added into the PBI directory (not the user's home dir) at <pbi-dir>/lib/eclipse/[plugins/ and features/]. It does not seem to matter if you are running the program with root permissions or not when installing plugins, since either way the plugin is registered as being installed.
In either case though I did not see a new "perspective" available for the appropriate programming language (for syntax highlighting). Is there some other way of checking that the plugin is working properly?
Just installing Eclipse in a fresh VM...I remember that it just worked for me.
You should have a "C/C++" perspective. In Window->Preferences, in the tree on the left, there could be a "C/C++" node on the top level of the tree. Highlighting should work. In the "new project" wizard there should be a node "C/C++" with several project types.
Do you see CDT in Help->About(...)->Installation Details->Features? If it didn't load, maybe there are logs somewhere?

BTW, "perspective" is just GUI layout. Highlighting is a feature of a text editor and whatever perspective you have opened, *.cpp and *.h should have syntax highlighting working.

Last edited by Abdul; 12-01-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:08 PM

Any news about adding CDT to Eclipse?

Also, I just updated to Juno and got 3 problems:
* my CDT was gone. OK, I reinstalled, but I report.
* all my config was gone. OK, I reconfigured, but I report.
* find / replace dialog lost all options, I had just edits and buttons, all check / select boxes disappeared. What's worse, it was case sensitive. It was a huge problem with a funny fix...resize it manually. I use e17 if it matters.

Last edited by Abdul; 07-19-2013 at 08:13 PM.