Old 10-13-2012, 12:44 AM

Default How to have an ATI RADEON HD 4350 working with PC-BSD 9?
Hi guys.

Im from Brazil and dont speak in english verywell. So, sorry about mistakes here..

I have an AMD/ATI RADEON HD 4350 GPU and I want to know how can I get this GPU working in PC-BSD 9.

I kn ow that there is no support from AMD to BSD-like but what driver are You using? What driver, what version and how to manage to get this working nicely?

Sorry about my english.

Edit.: The GPU is offboard.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:59 PM

Hi! Are you using 9.0 or are you using the latest Release Candidate (9.1-RC2)?

Either way, you can try the following:
1) PC-BSD Control Panel (on your Desktop or through the Launcher) > System Manager > System Packages tab > Hardware-Drivers

2) in 9.1-RC2, there is an option to install the ATI-Legacy drivers (I don't know if that option is available for 9.0 - I think it is, but I'm not sure).

3) I think you'll need to run the Display Manager after you install the ATI-Legacy package and select the appropriate driver (if the system doesn't automatically recognize it).

AFAIK, ATI support for FreeBSD is Very Poor, so even with the ATI-Legacy drivers you can't expect super great performance. HTH!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to larrylamsy Send a message via MSN to larrylamsy Send a message via Yahoo to larrylamsy
Smile Radeon Card - Problem on PCBSD 9.0
I suggest people to do the followings:-

1) reboot computer and select "Run -Display Setup" from the startup screen;
2) when the computer boot up, it will allow you to select graphical driver;
3) you select ATI (the one on the top of the list, but DO NOT use the Radeon HD or Radeon 3D);
4) confirm your selection.

It should works. Good luck.

Larry
Old 01-01-2013, 03:55 PM

Default amd ati card
Hi,

Version 9.1 has problems with ati radeon card as a whole. I have several ATI setup here and I have the same problem. This just is Comfirmed by freebsd kernel team in an errata. PC-BSD version 9.0 works well on every PC with the ATI driver at the top of the list and also the radeon driver without 3D.

My tested video card: ATI X1280 - radeon 4670HDMI - onboard ATI 3300 - onboard ATI 4200 - Radeon 5450 HDMI (3D doesn't work on any card tested (compiz etc ...)

According to the errata freebsd this problem should be corrected in version 9.2 but especially on version 10 according to the official kernel.

My suggestion for *yro* is: install the version 9.0 or buy a cheap nvidia card ( at this moment you have many deal on store web )

In conclusion: I agree with * BSD * : ATI support for FreeBSD is VERY POOR - VERY POOR - VERY POOR - VERY POOR - VERY POOR -

good luck

Last edited by boumboum; 01-01-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 PM

There was a problem with this in FreeBSD 9 and one thing that did fix it (when I was running it) was to set the WITHOUT_NOUVEAU=YES to /etc/make.conf before getting X. Apparently, the nouveau driver was stuck with an older, so by disabling it, it pulled in a newer mesa which fixed things a little bit. That probably doesn't apply today.

I agree though that the state of radeon on FreeBSD/PC-BSD just isn't there. Until KMS comes into FreeBSD, performance is not going to be good. Nvidia still works very well, so until Linus pisses off Nvidia off to the point where they stop making *nix drivers, that's pretty much the best choice for now.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:05 PM

Default ATI support ?
I don't know how developers can improve Freebsd support for ATI graphics cards!

But there is one thing to take into consideration: ATI has approximately 30% market * onboard integrated card * and * at least 40% of video cards sold *

There are excellent free alternative driver in the Linux world, so why not use the source code or driver to integrate on Freebsd..

It's like telling at 40/50% users they cannot use Freebsd if it did not have the right exactly hardware config. It doesn't make sense.

Just my simple opinion

Last edited by boumboum; 01-02-2013 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:40 PM

Smile good news geforce!
Hi,

Hire a good news for open driver for Freebsd developper

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...tm_source=t.co
Old 01-03-2013, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by boumboum View Post
Hi,

Hire a good news for open driver for Freebsd developper

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...tm_source=t.co
Actually, that news is completely irrelevent to FreeBSD... The last version of nouveau to work on FreeBSD supports little (if any) modern nvidia GPUs, and barely had 2D acceleration. In addition, it was essentially dropped when KMS became a requirement.

Adam