PC-BSD Forums

PC-BSD Forums (http://forums.pcbsd.org/index.php)
-   Laptops (http://forums.pcbsd.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   The FreeBSD Laptop Compatibility List (http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=6664)

antik 03-03-2007 09:03 PM

The FreeBSD Laptop Compatibility List

Quote:

The FreeBSD Laptop Compatibility List (or FLCL for short) aims to be a comprehensive database of laptops that are (or are not :-) ) working with FreeBSD.

If you can't find your laptop here and you're running FreeBSD on it, please submit an entry and help out other people that may want to buy the same model.

There are currently 1025 laptops from the following manufacturers in the database:

ACi, Acer, Advent, Alienware, All Ext DVD (CD) Drive, Aristo, Ascentia, Asus, Averatec, BenQ, Best, Bliss, Bullman, CA - California Access, Cassio, Cinet, Clevo, Compal - FGI, Compaq, CyberPower INC., Dell, Digital, Elitegroup Computer Systems, Emachines, Fujitsu, Fujitsu-Siemens, Gateway, Gericom, HP, Hitachi, Hyundai, IBM, IPC, Inspire, Itautec, JVC, Kenitec, LG, Lenovo, MBO, MSI, Maxselect, Medion, Micron, MyBook, NEC, PC Chips, Packard Bell, Panasonic, Peacock, Powernotebooks, Prestigio, Pro-Star, Promedion, Riscom Legenda, Roverbook, Sager, Samsung, Sharp, Siemens, Sony, Targa, Toshiba, Tsunami, Twinhead, Umax, Uniwill, Winbook, X-Mobile, XERON, emachines, enpower, iLap, iRU, iTronix, inote, vpr
http://laptop.bsdgroup.de/freebsd/

thenrie 04-07-2008 02:27 AM

Re: The FreeBSD Laptop Compatibility List

I have been trying to add my Toshiba P15-S409 to your list of compatible laptops, but I keep getting a "Copcha failed" message. If you would like to add it, the data is as follows:

Tony Henrie
Toshiba Satellite P15-S409
ACPI fully functioning (the rest I don't know)
Running PCBSD 1.5 (FreeBSD 6.3), also worked with PCBSD 1.4.1 (FreeBSD 6.2)
Atheros 5212 internal wireless 802.11b/g fully supported.
Using Nvidia 169.12 video driver, vert refresh rate set at 60-120

Tony

graedus 07-29-2008 02:43 PM

Re: Great!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiyipianni
I can not agree with you more aoc gold, and i think most people will approve wholesale, too.

spam. ber-chaff social engineering.

TerryP 07-29-2008 11:24 PM

Tango down!

posts removed, user account banned, along with a few other conspirators hehe.

jumbika 10-21-2008 07:01 AM

Hey, I was recently given a brand new dell laptop, because I am moving out and going to a University, so I needed my own computer. The computer I have at home is slow and filled with spyware, mostly due to my little sister and all the crap she downloads. I want to take really good care of my new laptop, so does anyone have any advice? What should I avoid (such as, kinds of sites)? What programs (free or inexpensive) should I use to protect the laptop? How can I maintain its speed? Thank you.

TerryP 10-21-2008 05:57 PM

FreeBSD is not supsetible to 99.9% of malware you will find on the web.

This is not a Windows support forum

kmf 10-21-2008 07:12 PM

Quote:

What programs (free or inexpensive) should I use to protect the laptop? How can I maintain its speed?
Usually a good start is to remove Windows, go ask for help in the "Installation" section, I'm sure we can answer your questions, there.

Karl

Protagonist 10-22-2008 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumbika
Hey, I was recently given a brand new dell laptop, because I am moving out and going to a University, so I needed my own computer. The computer I have at home is slow and filled with spyware, mostly due to my little sister and all the crap she downloads. I want to take really good care of my new laptop, so does anyone have any advice? What should I avoid (such as, kinds of sites)? What programs (free or inexpensive) should I use to protect the laptop? How can I maintain its speed? Thank you.

Spybot, Zone Alarm and AntiVir all offer free programs for Windows machines. But, as has been mentioned, an OS other than Windows would be even better protection. Preferably PC-BSD if your laptop is compatible. :-)

MatisseGroening 12-15-2008 10:10 PM

Can this conspiracy be joint? I didn't get an answer to my NTFS problem. Or is it just that my Dell Latitude C610 isn't fully compatible? On my DualCore with PS/2 mouse I never have a mouse while installing and never tried more than that. Actually it works much better on laptops - if there was a powersaver on. It was not visible for me. Maybe it was an angel?

Not any USB-WLAN recognition from PC-BSD, but from FreeBSD in the background. And no NTFS read!!!!! Shall Mark Shuttleworth lend you a hand?

And to the mentioning of spyware etc.. If you don't use WINE it's great. If you use it - normal in 1.5x - you have Windows viruses. And you got to check if the firewall has the right device. In UBUNTU Ultimate it's the same.

Forward-Stepper

TerryP 12-16-2008 04:13 AM

Not sure how similiar the D610 is, but I believe Vermaden has a Dell C600 laying around; might ask him via PM or post on DaemonForums.org. As to USB WLAN / NTFS / WINE, I would suggest a thread of their own ;-)