PC-BSD Forums

PC-BSD Forums (http://forums.pcbsd.org/index.php)
-   General Support (http://forums.pcbsd.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   mount tray in 9.1 does not detect ntfs in extended partition (http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=19275)

rvc 02-06-2013 02:18 AM

[SOLVED] mount tray in 9.1 does not detect ntfs in extended partition

is there a way the mount tray can be made to identify and mount the ntfs partition on the extended logical drive ? even scan for devices fails to identify !
if this can be achieved, then my extended ntfs drives containing videos multimedia can be made to automount...
help will be appreciated

came across this link and felt i ll post my doubt here as a new thread...

Beanpole 02-06-2013 11:51 AM

Could you send me a bit more information about the device with the extended partition?
Specifically, I will need the output of "file -s /dev/<device-node>", and also a brief description of how the partitions are laid out on that device and what you expect to be detected and available to mount on the computer.

Thanks!

rvc 02-09-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beanpole (Post 104114)
Could you send me a bit more information about the device with the extended partition?
Specifically, I will need the output of "file -s /dev/<device-node>", and also a brief description of how the partitions are laid out on that device and what you expect to be detected and available to mount on the computer.

Thanks!

sorry for my late reply.. was away from comp for a couple of days...

here is my file -s output.. :

Quote:

[rvc@isotope] ~% file -s /dev/ada0
/dev/ada0: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0x7, active, starthead 32, startsector 2048, 204800 sectors; partition 2: ID=0x7, starthead 163, startsector 206848, 153393152 sectors; partition 3: ID=0xa5, starthead 239, startsector 153600000, 204797952 sectors; partition 4: ID=0xf, starthead 239, startsector 358402046, 618369026 sectors, code offset 0xc0, OEM-ID " м", Bytes/sector 190, sectors/cluster 124, reserved sectors 191, FATs 6, root entries 185, sectors 64514 (volumes <=32 MB) , Media descriptor 0xf3, sectors/FAT 20644, heads 6, hidden sectors 309755, sectors 2147991229 (volumes > 32 MB) , physical drive 0x7e, dos < 4.0 BootSector (0x0)
i had originally used the windows 7 to resize and create the necessary partitions.
1st primary is for windows system thats created, 2nd primary is windows C, 3rd primary is zfs for pcbsd9.1, remaining is on extended logical where i have archlinux on ext4 with seperate swap; home and root partitions; lastly the windows partition for 250 gb. [i know i cant access ext4 partitions but i wish to mount the 250 gb ntfs partition that serves as common storage for all the 3 OS that i use...

dolphin identifies it with label Win-E that i have allocated and when i click on it, i can access and open files... but mount tray does not show this on its list even after i rescan the devices...

i cant see the listed partition when i use pcmanfm... only dolphin identifies this. i felt it will be nice if i can mount it on boot and let the tray icon list this so that i can set it to mount manually or automount...

Beanpole 02-11-2013 01:17 PM

can you also send me the output of "file -s" on the sub-devices for /dev/ada0? What I am specifically looking for is the info for the most specific device that contains the extended partition on it. (For example: the extended partition could be located on device node ada0s3a, or something like that)
From looking at the info you posted about ada0, I expect that you have ada0s[1,2,3] available, so you will need to narrow it down a bit. Running "ls /dev/ada0*" should help you see all the options, and running "glabel list" might help to narrow down what some of those devices are. If you can get the device mounted with Dolphin, you might be able to run "mount" to see the list of currently mounted devices and spot it that way as well.

rvc 02-11-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beanpole (Post 104239)
can you also send me the output of "file -s" on the sub-devices for /dev/ada0? What I am specifically looking for is the info for the most specific device that contains the extended partition on it. (For example: the extended partition could be located on device node ada0s3a, or something like that)
From looking at the info you posted about ada0, I expect that you have ada0s[1,2,3] available, so you will need to narrow it down a bit. Running "ls /dev/ada0*" should help you see all the options, and running "glabel list" might help to narrow down what some of those devices are. If you can get the device mounted with Dolphin, you might be able to run "mount" to see the list of currently mounted devices and spot it that way as well.

HERE IS THE OUTPUT... my device is ada0s8 (ntfs partition of 250 gb)

my disk geometry is i have arch linux installed in the extended partition with its root/home/swap created on ada0s5/6/7 and ada0s8 is the ntfs where i keep all my common files that i access either from windows / arch or pcbsd...

i want this partition to be auto mounted....

Quote:

[rvc@isotope] ~% file -s /dev/ada0s8
/dev/ada0s8: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0x72, starthead 13, startsector 1920221984, 1816210284 sectors, code offset 0x52, OEM-ID "NTFS ", sectors/cluster 8, reserved sectors 0, Media descriptor 0xf8, heads 240, hidden sectors 2048, dos < 4.0 BootSector (0x80)
[rvc@isotope] ~%

Beanpole 02-11-2013 05:33 PM

Do you happen to have an ada0s8a device? If not, you should be able to just update the mount-tray utility via svn and it should work for you. I have been working on the detection algorithm for the mount tray the last couple weeks, and comparing the current version to your device output looks like it should be picked up just fine now.
Let me know how the automounting works for it. That procedure is the next thing I was going to refine here soon, so it is good to know what currently works now so that I don't accidentally break it later... :-)

Here are some basic instructions to update your utility. This will require the Development-Qt system package as well as either the Subversion PBI or the Development-VCS system package.

Code:

svn co svn://svn.pcbsd.org/pcbsd/current/src-qt4 pcbsd-src-qt4
cd pcbsd-src-qt4/pc-mounttray
sudo make install clean

Make sure that you have closed down the application before installing the new version!

rvc 02-12-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beanpole (Post 104253)
Do you happen to have an ada0s8a device? If not, you should be able to just update the mount-tray utility via svn and it should work for you. I have been working on the detection algorithm for the mount tray the last couple weeks, and comparing the current version to your device output looks like it should be picked up just fine now.
Let me know how the automounting works for it. That procedure is the next thing I was going to refine here soon, so it is good to know what currently works now so that I don't accidentally break it later... :-)

Here are some basic instructions to update your utility. This will require the Development-Qt system package as well as either the Subversion PBI or the Development-VCS system package.

Code:

sudo make install clean

Make sure that you have closed down the application before installing the new version!

1. i do not have /dev/ada0s8* its just ada0s8...

i followed exactly what you had mentioned, and here is the output...

Quote:

[rvc@isotope] /usr/home/rvc/pcbsd-src-qt4/pc-mounttray# make install clean
make: don't know how to make install. Stop
[rvc@isotope] /usr/home/rvc/pcbsd-src-qt4/pc-mounttray#
wondering what must ve gone wrong... ! i ve used this style previously for installing be::shell and bespin without any probs !

further to this, here is the contents of the pc-mountray...
Quote:

[rvc@isotope] /usr/home/rvc/pcbsd-src-qt4/pc-mounttray# ls
i18n menuItem.cpp mountTray.h
icons menuItem.h pc-mounttray.pro
main.cpp mountTray.cpp pc-mounttray.qrc
[rvc@isotope] /usr/home/rvc/pcbsd-src-qt4/pc-mounttray#

Beanpole 02-12-2013 12:35 PM

Oops, I forgot to list the "qmake-qt4" command before "make install clean", sorry about that! This command creates the makefile so that you can actually run "make".

Here is the (corrected) commands;
Code:

qmake-qt4 *.pro
sudo make install clean

rvc 02-12-2013 04:43 PM

Worked out like a charm

Thank you so much....
Works like a charm !
All i needed to do was start tray and it automatically listed the ntfs...
PCBSD rocks !

rvc 02-12-2013 04:53 PM

trying to mount my usb flash failed to mount...

is there any specific command to mount usb flash ?
i am working around for it. though the tray icon listed it on hot plug, it failed to mount !