PC-BSD Forums

PC-BSD Forums (http://forums.pcbsd.org/index.php)
-   General Questions (http://forums.pcbsd.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Brand New to PCBSD (http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=19182)

argedion 01-26-2013 10:41 PM

Brand New to PCBSD

Hi as the title suggest I am new to the forum and to any BSD. I have been a linux user for the past few years. I have an issue I am hoping someone can help me to resolve.

My Issue is that I cannot acces any USB DRIVES from the OS. I have a 750 gig usb and a 1 TB usb drive that I cannot access. I also have tried sticking in a 4 Gig usb stick and get no options to access that either. Can someone please help me gain access to my drives. The 750 and 1 tb are both formatted ext4 The little thumb drive is fat32

I am running PC-BSD 9.1 btw

Tigersharke 01-26-2013 11:21 PM

Have you tried using Mount Tray?
Those two formats are supposed to be accessible, as are others in the filesystems table. If mount tray does not work, perhaps there is something unique to your situation or the method used to setup the USB devices in question. The size should not be an issue, though the external enclosure could be adding some sort of wrinkle to the process. Are any extended or non-primary partitions involved? Maybe they were created via USB3 but attempting to use on USB2?

Tiberius Duval 01-26-2013 11:30 PM

ext4 is not accessible, at least not in direct way. Ext2 is supported.

argedion 01-26-2013 11:38 PM

An error occurred while accessing '750Data', the system responded: org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure: mount: /dev/ext2fs/750Data: Operation not supported by device

I get this for both devices when I try to mount them. Looks like I need to convert to ext2

argedion 01-30-2013 12:30 AM

converted drives and have that part out of way. Now what material will help me get the most out of my system? and why wont vlc play media files but kveiw or whatever it is will play them just fine? is there a codec pack i need for vlc? Also what about permissions? how do I change them when needed?

TIA

Tiberius Duval 01-30-2013 03:51 AM

VLC won't play your media files because it is not set as default media player, change it from system settings. I don't think you'll need any extra codec pack for VLC, at least I did not. You can change file permissions by right clicking file on file manager, and choosing properties, there is tab conderning permissions. Also if you have used command line in linux standard chmod and chown commands work also in PC-BSD.

argedion 01-30-2013 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiberius Duval (Post 103905)
VLC won't play your media files because it is not set as default media player, change it from system settings. I don't think you'll need any extra codec pack for VLC, at least I did not. You can change file permissions by right clicking file on file manager, and choosing properties, there is tab conderning permissions. Also if you have used command line in linux standard chmod and chown commands work also in PC-BSD.

OK thanks

Sent by my EVO LTE Using Tapatalk - argedion