PC-BSD Forums

PC-BSD Forums (http://forums.pcbsd.org/index.php)
-   General Questions (http://forums.pcbsd.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   KDE Taskbar Fubar'd - How to restore? (Solved) (http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=12101)

wmichaelb 08-22-2009 06:28 PM

KDE Taskbar Fubar'd - How to restore? (Solved)

Hi, I've researched this on the KDE and other web sites, but all the suggestions I found don't seem to apply to PC-BSD. Somehow, I've managed to move my taskbar icons to a window on the desktop, and I cannot figure out how to restore it to the lower taskbar. Can anyone offer a solution?, and thanks in advance.

Cobalt 08-23-2009 06:51 AM

Re: KDE Taskbar Fubar'd - How to restore?

I'm guessing that you've somehow invoked the View widget. Try going into Appearance Settings and changing to Folder View or try editing the widget's settings. Hope this helps.

wmichaelb 08-23-2009 09:32 PM

Cobalt: thanks for responding! Changing to Folder View simply cluttered up the workspace without resetting the system tray. When I click on it, the dialog box refers to it as the "system tray", my apologies if I wasn't clear. All the references I've found on the KDE site refer to files and folders that I can't find in PC-BSD. In addition, task bar applets that used to work won't now. Do you have any suggestions on how to restore Plasma to it's default state?

Thanks!

Cobalt 08-23-2009 11:45 PM

Ah, I think I've re-created your System Tray problem. Unlock your widgets (ctrl+L or right-click on your taskbar) and drag the existing tray onto your taskbar by its handle.

Method two (from scratch): Close the tray on your desktop, right-click on your taskbar -> Panel Options -> Add Widgets. Scroll down to System Tray and drag it onto your taskbar. A 'shadow' tray will show you where it will go.

wmichaelb 08-24-2009 12:20 AM

Cobalt: I seem to have figured it out; I deleted the window on the desktop, and reinstalled the system tray from "Add Widget". Everything went back to normal. Interestingly, the system tray widget is available only from the bottom toolbar. I'm not sure what I did to get it onto the desktop, but there are other entries for that problem on the KDE website.

One widget I would very much like to use is the CPU monitor. It works when installed on the desktop, but not on the bottom toolbar. ????

Thanks again for your time and help!

Cobalt 08-24-2009 12:36 AM

The CPU Monitor only works for me when I select Add Widget, not when dragging. An alternative would be the System Monitor widget, but you have to click on the icon to bring it up or just leave it and it might get in the way.