PDA

View Full Version : Linksys USB Wireless-N Adapter

stevenapayne
12-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Hi guys,

Here is the mother of all newbie PC-BSD questions....

I'm migrating from Xandros and installed PC-BSD 1.4.1 last night. All went well except for my networking. PC-BSD doesn't recognize my Linksys Wireless-N adapter at all. I tried to install the drivers (here's where my newbieness comes in) and I'm not sure what program/application you use in PC-BSD to read a CD that was intended for Microsoft Windows. I just want to try to do the setup.exe if I can -- I believe that will load the drivers & solve the problem, I just need to know what application to use to open the CD.

Thanks & sorry if this seems trivial :oops:

daveol
12-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Hello and welcome.

...PC-BSD doesn't recognize my Linksys Wireless-N adapter...
Your first order of business should be to find out chipset is on the network adapter. Posting the exact model number and type (usb /pci ?) would be a good start, as well as the output of dmesg (type dmesg <enter> in a console window).

Once you have done the groundwork otherwill be able to assist you. Armed with the chipset info, you would also be able to search the manpages, handbook as well as this and other BSD boards for the drivers.

Good luck.

Dave

TerryP
12-02-2007, 06:33 PM
To run a .exe you'd need to install WINE, run it under WINE (I don't use wine so I dunno how).

That would possibly yield files for ndisgen.

I was lucky, I checked out the wireless drivers on my system, printed out the models supported from the manual pages, went to Best Buy and office Depot and found one that was supported out of the box xD