PDA

View Full Version : How do I rebuild the kernel without the ulpt driver?

cackerso
11-04-2007, 09:29 PM
I am trying to get a HP1020 printer to work. These types of printers apparently require a special driver for ZjSteam protocol. I've installed the driver both from the ports package and from the zoo2zjs site. The printer works after I install the driver. If I turn the computer off then restart the printer no longer works. If I print from Windows (dual boot) and then print, then boot back into PCBSD 1.4 the printer works fine. One suggestion on another post of mine suggested trying to wake the printer up first. But it has no wake up button and I have no idea how to do it other wise. When I post this problem on the printer driver site I am told, more than once, to

"Build the kernel without the ulpt driver. You should use /dev/ugenX
cat /usr/share/foo2zjs/firmware/ship1020.dl > /dev/ugen0.1"

One thread here in the install section is about someone else trying to get the driver to work. They seem have a lot more knowledge that I and can't get it to work.

Is there a straight forward way to build the kernel without this driver? I would need detailed instructions because I'm pretty new to this.

Thanks.

cackerso
11-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Although I haven't figured out how to recompile the kernel in modules yet, which would save a lot of time, I did manage to build it without the ulpt driver and with ugen. I got a couple of hints on a related post about my printer problems. So now we'll see if I can get the printer working.

Oko
11-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Although I haven't figured out how to recompile the kernel in modules yet, which would save a lot of time, I did manage to build it without the ulpt driver and with ugen. I got a couple of hints on a related post about my printer problems. So now we'll see if I can get the printer working.

Read the handbook

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO885 ... onfig.html (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html)

but you have to be very careful as PC-BSD doesn't have generic FreeBSD kernel but rather custom.

I would not play with recompiling PC-BSD kernel without consultation with developers. In short period of time I used PC-BSD I have never recompiled the kernel. I have recompiled kernel in FreeBSD many, many times.

cackerso
11-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the advice. My frustration at trying to solve a seemingly simple task has run up smack against my lack of knowledge. I tried this entire past weekend to get my printer to work with PCBSD. I never succeeded. The best I can do is to leave the original kernel alone, build the foo2zjs driver from the ports package, then wake up the printer in Windows as I described earlier. Then I can boot into and print in PCBSD.

Just for the record I want to say that I'm doing this because in general I like PCBSD. And obviously I'm also trying to learn a bit about how to use unix based systems. I've been told that BSD is generally considered a hackers OS, but with this release of 1.4 it seemed like I could use it with few problems. Mostly that's been the case. But this run with my printer has been a wash.

So I'd like to follow your advice. In your experience what's the best way to contact the developers about this conflict with the ulpt device and printers like the HP1020 so that perhaps the next release of PCBSD won't have this problem?

Oko
11-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the advice. My frustration at trying to solve a seemingly simple task has run up smack against my lack of knowledge. I tried this entire past weekend to get my printer to work with PCBSD. I never succeeded. The best I can do is to leave the original kernel alone, build the foo2zjs driver from the ports package, then wake up the printer in Windows as I described earlier. Then I can boot into and print in PCBSD.

Just for the record I want to say that I'm doing this because in general I like PCBSD. And obviously I'm also trying to learn a bit about how to use unix based systems. I've been told that BSD is generally considered a hackers OS, but with this release of 1.4 it seemed like I could use it with few problems. Mostly that's been the case. But this run with my printer has been a wash.

So I'd like to follow your advice. In your experience what's the best way to contact the developers about this conflict with the ulpt device and printers like the HP1020 so that perhaps the next release of PCBSD won't have this problem?

You might try even private mail but there is no guarantee that they will help you.

Just a comment about FreeBSD. It is not true that is for Hackers. It is a very serious business tool exceptionally good for running various servers.
(NFS, Mail, Printer Server, HTTP, Database etc)
That mean several things.

1. It is incredibly stable and simple.

2. It involves studying various technical manuals and deep knowledge. (Not usually expected from the average Desktop user).
You might need days or weeks to study them so you better be paid to do so.

3. An average FreeBSD user is professional system administrator or a developer
if for no other reason but for the fact that an average person doesn't have
3 months to study Handbook before it deploy an OS to use email and web-browser.
(I didn't believe this myself when I got into it as I am a professional mathematician. Let me tell you something. I do know now more about system administration and OS in general then 80% of system administrators at the University were I work)

4. Destkop applications are very complex in some sense as they require many many applications running simultaneously in the contrast to servers where you usually have one application per machine. For example.
We have only one computer which is your printer server for 2000-3000 printers but that is the only thing running on that computer.

As I was playing little bit myself with the scenario from the example I discovered that LPD daemon was not enough to deploy complex policies for printers use by 50 000 people.
LPRng was much better suitable but its installation meant that that computer running it could not have K3b for instance and many other applications that
require CUPS-base for some idiotic reason. That would automatically mean that
you can not use LPRng on your Destkop which has one printer plug to it and 1000 of other applications which you expect to work.

CUPS would be probably choice of an average system admin but for somebody
who was running LPD or LPRng whole their life it involved reading of 500 pages of complex manuals and more over trusting to a new application (written around year 2000 unlike LPD which is around from 1970 or LPRng from mid 1980s) that will do the very complex job.

5. In the above scenario all 3000 printers are made by specific manufacturer as University have a contract only with one company. One knows up front that they work
because information I gave you about your printer is common knowledge for the employees of
HP (if we decide to deploy their product).

6. If you are going to advertise an OS for a desktop you are faced with the fact that
you have to support incredibly variety of mostly junk hardware (which nobody in right mind would use in the production environment) and that people expect those things to work out of box.

7. You have to support thing that in production environment have little or no value like WiFi cards, video cards for 3D, palm readers and slue of other nonsense.

8. FreeBSD was not originally develop as a Desktop OS but as a replacement for the commercial flavours of Unix (like V5) so the support for things like in 7 mostly came as
developers and sys-admin wanted to use FreeBSD not just at work but at home too.

9. In conclusion FreeBSD is perfectly is a great Desktop OS but requires that you have your private sys-administrator, that you have a knowledge of one or that you are using PC-BSD which is an attempt to do most of sys-administration for you through the software.

ypsilon
06-23-2008, 06:42 PM
I know this is an old thread, even so this is exactly my problem:
I need to build a kernel without ulpt.

So I deleted the line in the kernelconfig, and rebuild the kernel.
when I rebooted, .... my printer HP F380 got connected again as ulpt0.

%dmesg | grep 300
sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x300>
sc0: VGA <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x300>
ulpt0: HP Deskjet F300 series, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2, iclass 255/204
%

BUT I removed the line from my MYKERNEL config.
So how come this build in dynamically, .... and a atapicam is missing ???? :oops:

%uname -a
FreeBSD pcbsd 6.3-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 6.3-RELEASE-p2 #0: Sat Jun 21 16:14:37 CEST 2008 ypsilon@pcbsd:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL amd64
%

Thansk for support ....

misstyck2
06-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Hi,

possible to add in /etc/make.conf an option for ulpt disable ?

NO_INET6=true # do not build IPv6 related programs and libraries

Exemple for inet6.

NO_ULPT=true ???

I don 't know if that help you.

ypsilon
06-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Hi, thanks, I will give it a try, but before I have to understand why the ultp is still there, but I deleted the line in my KERNCONF.

misstyck2
06-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi,

strange i disable inet6 in option on my kernel and no only ipv4 work's fine on lo0 to. :)