PDA

View Full Version : How can I put my laptop to sleep and hibernate?

john.e3
10-10-2007, 11:05 PM
Hi,

I am new to PC-BSD, I just kicked out winXP and thought I would try PC-BSD. The install went fine, except for I can't seem to get the screen resolution 1400x900 that I had with WinXP :cry: while using PC-BSD. I am guessing there must be some driver problem for my ATI Radeon x700 graphics card. I can't seem to find any info on how install a driver for it.

Anyway, I really need to implement some sort of sleep and hibernate power management scheme. In windows, I could just close the lid and my laptop would go to sleep and resume when I open the lid.

Can this be done using PC-BSD? If so, how.

Thank you.
John

angryfirelord
11-11-2007, 02:30 AM
Unfortunately, the only driver that can get your resolution is the fglrx driver which works only on....Linux. The open-source driver doesn't support your card. I'd keep an eye on the radeonhd driver, in fact it exists in ports, but is still experimental at this point.

As for suspend/hibernate, try this thread: http://forums.pcbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4695&hilit=hibernate

.ee
05-25-2008, 11:40 PM
Is it already possible to stand-by and hibernate laptops on freeBSD or PC-BSD or any other variation of freeBSD?

I am testing RoFreeSBie now where standby button on my laptop puts it to some kind of sleeping mode where from I cannot wake it up without shutting it down,
and the hibernate button produces no reaction at all.

TerryP
05-26-2008, 12:22 AM
FreeBSD can handle it via ACPI and APM where sufficiently supported.

You might find this thread (http://forums.pcbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4695) useful. I've put it to a test though.

Oko
05-26-2008, 04:33 AM
Is it already possible to stand-by and hibernate laptops on freeBSD or PC-BSD or any other variation of freeBSD?

I am testing RoFreeSBie now where standby button on my laptop puts it to some kind of sleeping mode where from I cannot wake it up without shutting it down,
and the hibernate button produces no reaction at all.

Try OpenBSD 4.3 current on IBM ThinkPads T43 or older. EVERYTHING works! 8)

.ee
05-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks you, guys!

I have 2GB RAM on my laptop. Should I think of devoting >2GB to a swap partition of FreeBSD and set it by hand that big or, the hibernation in BSD does not need a BSD swap partition of the size bigger than RAM? I guess my default installation has set swap partion to be 512MB. With a big RAM I have I will hardly need it that big unless it is required for hibernantion.

Sorry if this question already has an obvious answer in the links you've provided - I still have to read them!

Oko
05-27-2008, 03:17 AM
Thanks you, guys!

I have 2GB RAM on my laptop. Should I think of devoting >2GB to a swap partition of FreeBSD and set it by hand that big or, the hibernation in BSD does not need a BSD swap partition of the size bigger than RAM? I guess my default installation has set swap partion to be 512MB. With a big RAM I have I will hardly need it that big unless it is required for hibernantion.

Sorry if this question already has an obvious answer in the links you've provided - I still have to read them!

Normally you would put 2xRAM for SWAP. In your case that is 4Gb. If I remember correctly that what would be the default SWAP assigned by FreeBSD installer anyway. I am not aware if hibernation has anything to do with the size of SWAP.

TerryP
05-28-2008, 06:27 AM
The 'S4' state is not supported by FreeBSD (at least 6.x), if it was because the data is supposed to be suspended to disk I would expect there to be some form of storage used be it swap or otherwise.

If your system supports them, FreeBSD can handle S1, S2, S3, and S5.

I'm not sure how the system handles S3 (suspend to ram) if your using more virtual memory then there is physical memory actually lol.

Personally, if the data on the swap partition is persistent enough I would probably try to use it for implementing suspend to disk (S4). Who knows what the (considerably smarter then I) FreeBSD developers would do though.

Ballans
12-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Try to put your mouse over a blank spot on your desk top, not an icon,
right click>
left click properties>
left click screensaver tab once>
click the square power button once >
left click the hibernate tab, uncheck hibernate click apply and OK

TerryP
12-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Anyone else think Ballans's post is spam?

richardpl
12-03-2008, 08:39 PM
I'm not sure how the system handles S3 (suspend to ram) if your using more virtual memory then there is physical memory actually lol.

It is fine - there is no problem, except swap partition got corrupted betwen suspend and/after resume.

S2, S3, S4 are not currently supported on SMP kernel on multi(cpu/core) machines.

If you have such machine first put "kern.smp.disabled=1" into /boot/loader.conf, reboot and try again.

FreeBSD currenty doesnt support S4OS, S4BIOS is possible but too much complicated.

salvadori
06-06-2009, 06:31 AM
Adobe After Effects only sees 2GB RAM when i have 3GB RAM? How can i change this so that AE can see my 3 GB RAM memory?
market samurai (http://www.keywordspy.com/overview/domain.aspx?q=marketsamurai.com) ~ marketsamurai (http://www.keywordspy.com/overview/domain.aspx?q=marketsamurai.com) ~ marketsamurai.com (http://www.keywordspy.com/overview/domain.aspx?q=marketsamurai.com)