PDA

View Full Version : Boot PC-BSD/FreeBSD from Windows bootloader

antik
05-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Sometimes it is not possible to install FreeBSD bootloader into MBR due to some bios manufacturers ignorance to support other operating systems/boot loaders (I encountered this problem with my Clevo branded tablet notebook T210C).

Install PC-BSD into prepared primary partition as usual but don't install boot loader. Insert the PC-BSD/FreeBSD installation CD-ROM and copy the /boot/boot1 file to a new file called c:\freebsd. I then modify the c:\boot.ini file by running 'notepad c:\boot.ini'. You cannot find this file with 'Search' or via Explorer as it is hidden from normal view.

Then add the following at the very end of the boot.ini file:

c:\freebsd="PC-BSD Operating System"

After saving changes reboot Windows. The next time Windows appear you have the choice of booting Windows 2000/XP or PC-BSD/FreeBSD. Either OS can now be started from this menu.

budious
05-27-2007, 09:07 PM
I have a Sager 5720 laptop based on Clevo m570a components. I get an error even attempting to load any FreeBSD or PCBSD installation cd, let alone getting to worry about the bootloader.

ha1f
05-27-2007, 10:49 PM
I have a Sager 5720 laptop based on Clevo m570a components. I get an error even attempting to load any FreeBSD or PCBSD installation cd, let alone getting to worry about the bootloader.

whats the error?

budious
05-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Using PCBSD 1.3.0.1 installation cd, the bootloader of the cd appears and the default action (1) occurs to begin loading the installation. During the kernel boot the following error occurs:

RAM parity error, likely hardware failure.
Fatal trap 19: non-maskable interrupt trap while in kernel mode
panic: non-maskable interrupt error
cpuid=0
uptime: 1s

The memory in the machine is fine, as tested extensively with ubuntu's x86 grub installed memory installed. I dual boot with XP/Ubuntu 6.10 currently and both operating systems run flawlessly on the desktop. I do have parts in the mail from newegg to upgrade this week and if could this straightened out would consider replacing ubuntu with pc-bsd on the laptop. Upgrading my 80GB hard drive to 160GB seagate momentus and from 1GB memory to 2GB so fresh installs are in order anyways.

05-28-2007, 05:48 AM
Thats pretty F N cool. Thanks for the info. :wink:

TerryP
05-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Its a nice bootloader but I just wish it wasn't tied to the windows install (e.g. boot.ini)

Normally I use GAG so I have a fast easy flexi'option that doesn't care what I do to my primary partitions lol.

05-29-2007, 02:07 AM
Its a nice bootloader but I just wish it wasn't tied to the windows install (e.g. boot.ini)

Normally I use GAG so I have a fast easy flexi'option that doesn't care what I do to my primary partitions lol.
Not that I am a smart guy but someone else with the knowlege should be able to reproduce the same simple type of boot system. :wink:

antik
05-29-2007, 07:44 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention that my notebook got no cdrom drive- only external usb one. USB boot is broken in FreeBSD for long time and I installed PC-BSD on other computer- removed hard drive from notebook and connected in with desktop computer through LGH-IDE adapter. GAG boot loader does not work on same notebook- I tried everything- not a single Linux livecd worked, heck I had problem starting even dos from external usb cdrom. :twisted:

budious
05-29-2007, 09:31 AM
The cdrom on my laptop is SATA modular bay. Linux and Grub bootloader works fine on this model but the FreeBSD kernel doesn't appear to play friendly with the hardware.

Edward78
06-25-2007, 04:50 PM
When I choose PC-BSD, I get a blank screen, it doesn't boot. :( It won't boot right from grub either..

06-25-2007, 05:01 PM
When I choose PC-BSD, I get a blank screen, it doesn't boot. :( It won't boot right from grub either..
Hi. :D PCBSD uses the BSD boot loader & getting any BSD to boot from grub is a task. Try using the GAG bootloader. It will boot Win, Linux, FreeBSD (PCBSD), etc. Google it! If you have a Windows box, use it to make your boot diskette. It is easiest for new users to use a familiar environment. Follow the instructions. It is really easy to use. Let us know if you have issues with getting it set up. :wink:

Edward78
06-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Hi. :D PCBSD uses the BSD boot loader & getting any BSD to boot from grub is a task. Try using the GAG bootloader. It will boot Win, Linux, FreeBSD (PCBSD), etc. Google it! If you have a Windows box, use it to make your boot diskette. It is easiest for new users to use a familiar environment. Follow the instructions. It is really easy to use. Let us know if you have issues with getting it set up. :wink:

Sorry, I meant GaG, I am doing that lately, typing something else then what I mean. :) What is the prob. with the boot.ini thing you think (the blank screen)? The irony of this is I got PC-BSD because it was seposed to be simple. Can I make a .bat file & boot PC-BSD?

richard.a
06-28-2007, 12:43 PM

GAG is brilliant.

The first time you run it, it looks everywhere there could possibly be an OS and flags it.

For laptops where you are unlikely to have a floppy drive any more, you can get it to create a boot CD. I have it on one of the very small ones the size of a floppy, in a floppy-sized plastic case - which I have used a lot.

It will boot under conditions where a regular bootloader has problems, too. Very versatile.

It is extremely simple to set it up, and while it doesn't use an X-Server GUI, the GUI is very easy to navigate around and customise. In many ways it looks and behaves like the old DOS AutoMenu.

Why GAG? The Spanish initials of the product :) But you don't need to know any Spanish to use it :D

Richard.

masinick
09-21-2007, 07:49 PM

Sorry you have not had better results. I am able to point to the location on my disk that contains PC-BSD and I can either boot PC-BSD directly from GRUB by giving it the full name of the boot loader, or I can chainload.

Either way, I have no problem at all getting to the BTS boot loader.

MetalMark
09-22-2008, 05:28 PM
Just take a look at easybcd 1.7.2 and give it a try

I like that small tool to edit the ms-bootloader
Jump to "add/remove entries", go to "linux" and take a look at the dropdown menu
there you will find bsd

very simple :idea: