PDA

View Full Version : PBI problem (solved)

rhomp2002
05-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Clicked on the icon to download software today after reading the entry about Adobe Acrobat. When I did I got the error message that it could not find Firefox. Did something change in the past couple of days?

The Adobe Acrobat Reader did download and I was able to install it but I was just wondering what is with the Download PBI software? What makes it even stranger is that Firefox was running while I was reading the entries about the Acrobat PBI on the forum. Very strange. Why could it not find what was already running? :? :?

Solarin
05-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Sounds like you changed the 'default browser' setting in KDE.

Not on a KDE machine at the moment, so can't advise exactly where this setting is, other than somewhere in Kontrol. 'Components' maybe...

dracheflieger
05-23-2007, 01:38 PM
KMenu -> Settings -> KDE Components -> Component Chooser -> Web Browser

rhomp2002
05-23-2007, 04:45 PM
I was able to install the Adobe Acrobat but I had to do it through the home button in the system tray. The PBI download on the desktop does not advance past the message that it could not find Firefox.

Whether the default browser was changed or not, why should that affect the PBI download on the desktop? :? :?

rhomp2002
05-27-2007, 02:13 AM
I took out the default to Firefox for a browser and now I get my PBI back. I still wonder why the browser has anything to do with it at all. Seems as if it should not matter a bit whether the default browser is Opera, Firefox or Konqueror. The PBI should be able to work with Konqueror if it must regardless of what the default browser is or so it seems to me.

Charles
05-27-2007, 03:57 PM
What do you call "Download PBI software"? Could you give us more information if possible? I'd like to solve your problem, maybe it's a system or PBI issue :roll:

rhomp2002
05-27-2007, 04:42 PM
I am talking about the icon on the desktop. There is an icon for PC-BSD Official W.... and right next to it is one called Download Software. If you open that one you get the list of PBI categories and if you click on the category you get a list of PBI's that you can install.

When I had Firefox as the default browser, whenever I clicked on the Download Software I got a message that it could not find Firefox even though Firefox was running. That was the extent of what I could do to install PBI's. Now that I have taken Firefox out as my default browser and there is no default browser indicated, this works.

It seems to me that if the Download Software requires Konqueror which is what it brings up when it loads the list of categories, then it should just go straight to Konqueror rather than even checking for the default browser. Either that or else it should use the default browser as if it were Konqueror. As it stands I cannot use Opera or Firefox as my default browser because if I do I am shut out from the PBI software downloads.

I am just guessing that PC-BSD defaults to Konqueror as the KDE browser and the PBI is therefore based on Konqueror. If so, then the extra step to go to the default and then flag as an error if it is not Konqueror is just a waste of time when the link could go right to Konqueror and be done with.

Charles
05-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Ah ok, you're talking about pbidir.com - Thanks, I'll add this bug to the PC-BSD Bug Tracker. This is not a new bug actually.

Solarin
05-29-2007, 09:25 AM
You mean, when you double click on the icon (which is a link to pbidir.com) it tells you it can't find Firefox?

Sounds like when you changed your default browser, you didn't specify the correct path to the firefox executable.

rhomp2002
05-29-2007, 11:35 AM
Just like the entry to make Thunderbird the main mail choice, I entered Firefox as the main web choice. At that point I no longer got the notice when I started Firefox asking whether I wanted to make Firefox the default browser. I assume that means that the choice for Firefox to be default was accepted. What more should I have entered? :? :?

Solarin
05-29-2007, 12:43 PM
You need to specify the full path to the firefox executable.

/path/to/firefox

I don't use firefox myself, so I'm unable to advise further. If you installed it via PBI it should be under /Programs somewhere, otherwise it'll be under /usr/local

If it's in your PATH and called 'firefox', then execute 'which firefox' from the console, it'll print the full path to the screen.

rhomp2002
05-29-2007, 01:11 PM
I tried the which firefox and got the message unknown command indicating firefox. I then tried whereis firefox and got /usr/ports/www/firefox. I would doubt if that is what is wanted as default browser. I know that if I double click the firefox icon on the desktop it opens right up and if I click on the firefox entry in the startup list (either most used or internet) it also opens right up which would not be the case if the full path was the /usr/ports/www/firefox. Not sure where to go next with this.

I then tried the find files and got /usr/home/dick/.mozilla/firefox. Is this mess what I need to enter to get the default browser and the ability to use the PBI desktop icon? There is also a /usr/home/dick/.thunderbird which I assume is the one that lets me pick thunderbird as my email default. Why would firefox require the mozilla subfolder and the thunderbird not require it? both pbi entries for the firefox and thunderbird are there without the mozilla even being mentioned. Opera is there also on its own within /usr/home/dick/.opera.

It just does not seem consistent.

Solarin
05-29-2007, 08:59 PM
If you used the PBI, you'll find the correct path to be something in the order of:

/usr/Programs/Firefox2.0.0.3/bin/firefox

The dotfiles within your home directory contain preferences. The inconsistency you mention, is indeed true, but down to the application developers. You'd think the Firefox & Thunderbird people would talk to each other ;)

Charles
05-29-2007, 10:14 PM
I think it's an .sbin directory, for instance:

/usr/Programs/Firefox2.0.0.3/.sbin/firefox

rhomp2002
05-30-2007, 12:08 AM
That worked. Thanks.

Galactic Dominator
06-05-2007, 06:01 PM
FYI

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?quer ... ormat=html (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=whereis&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.2-RELEASE&format=html)