PDA

View Full Version : CD/DVD drives partly dead after deinstallation of PC-BSD

gob
02-27-2007, 11:28 AM
Hi there,

I got a problem with my 2 DVD-Rom drives. They just read only ONE TIME after I formatted my HD and installed Windows again.

What is wrong ? Doesn't PC-BSD dismount these devices properly ?

And here it comes: ON TWO MACHINES. That gives me the hint that this have something to do with PC-BSD. Because on both machines, PC-BSD was installed before and no other OS between.

What I did exactely -

I just installed PC-BSD 1.3.3 on:

my laptop: DELL Latitude D600; 1,6GHz everthing worked fine !
my desktop: AMD 64; 2,8GHz; 1024MB RAM and so on, everthing worked fine.

Then I installed (via DVD-Rom) Windows again (on both) with formatting my HD each time, the drives worked on both machines?! and then when windows had been installed, the drives didn't read any data anymore.

Is this a PC-BSD problem at all ? Please help me, I have never expericenced such a strange problem. :twisted:

Solarin
02-27-2007, 11:40 AM
No, if the drives worked until Windows had completed its install, then perhaps windows did something to them.

In all likely hood, Windows probably just doesn't support your drive or controller.

You'll probably need to download and install the drivers from your manufacturer.

GoldfrappJenny
02-27-2007, 11:51 AM
It's definitly a Harware/Windows problem.

Check the device manager if there are any conflicts, check if any cable slipped out of the socket, try to run the automatic hardware detection again. Normally Windows does not need any driver to access a DVD-ROM drive.

gob
02-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Hi there,

sorry I did all of these suggestions you gave me before.

I started the device manager before. I looked if any cable is out of its plug before. That's just normal that you do that at first.

Nothing happens. I know that this is too far to be a PC-BSD problem but i'm experiencing these problems after I installed PC-BSD and before there was no problem with the drives, a years long.

Sorry any suggestions ? I would really appreciate it. My question is: can you really say that this is no BSD Problem ? Then I'm going to stop asking. Thank you.

dracheflieger
02-27-2007, 02:11 PM
This hasn't happened to me on the latest 1.3.3 on either of two machines, one using Windows installed in Win4BSD and the other (my wife's) using Windows installed on its own partition, after the installation of PC-BSD. Both computers are using NEC's latest DVD-RW drives

gob
02-27-2007, 06:23 PM
hi dracheflieger,

could you precise your problem a bit more. I don't understand what this problem has to do with mine ? I opened this thread to get an answer to the question: "How can I fix me drives that have been somehow affected/or not by a PC-BSD installation, to run again properly afterwards in windows." I know that this is hard to understand but this has nothing to do with a lack of drivers or unsupported hardware.

The drives work fine for years until I installed PC-BSD, on PC-BSD they also ran normally, then after I formatted my HD to set up windows they just don't work anymore, BOTH, neither on my DELL D600 nor on my Desktop ?!? What is this ?

Just post something that might help or tell me if this problem leads to far away from PC-BSD. Again thank you very much, I appreciate that.

antik
02-27-2007, 06:27 PM
The drives work fine for years until I installed PC-BSD, on PC-BSD they also ran normally, then after I formatted my HD to set up windows they just don't work anymore, BOTH, neither on my DELL D600 nor on my Desktop ?!? What is this ?

You reformatted what? Maybe you have to set up your partition active to boot from it.

GoldfrappJenny
02-27-2007, 06:34 PM
He is refering to the DVD drives not the HDDs.... ;)

gob
02-27-2007, 07:05 PM
hi there,

I'm glad that you all are that helpfull. I don't want you to get me wrong, my question was if this COULD have something to do with PC-BSD. It is not my intention to blame PC-BSD for that problem.
When this happend it was just unbelievable to me, because 2 days before everything work fine on Windows (with HD formatted before), then after the installation (with HD formatted before) of PC-BSD again everything worked fine, then again on Windows (with HD formatted before) the drives were dead ?! I'm talking about one device (HD) that has been formatted 3 times.

You can stop answering now if you want. I think the problem leads to far away to be dealt with in this forum. I only wanted to hear if someone has experienced the same problem after a deinstallation of PC-BSD.

So if there's just any slight connection between, how PC-BSD handels CD/DVD drives explicitly mounts them/unmounts them and the malfunction of my two drives, just let me know.

Oh I forgot, I even changed the drives to exclude hardware damage or so.
I can really be a Windows problem I know that but that seems unlikely to me since I use the same Windows version on the same machine, only that I had PC-BSD installed between the two Windows installations, you know the rest already...

PS: I had several Linux on my machines before, SuSE, Ubuntu and never had such problems afterwards, this I think you should also know about.

Ok that's it for now. Thank you very much again.

DragnLord
02-27-2007, 07:40 PM
What version of Windows are you using?

GoldfrappJenny
02-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Another option would be to check the bios.
Check if they are being listed as installed.

gob
02-27-2007, 07:55 PM
I don't think that this matters, because the drive always ran with my version.

the version is Windows XP version 5.1.2600

thank you.

DragnLord
02-27-2007, 08:14 PM
PC-BSD does not alter optical drive firmware in any way.
I suggest that you delete your hard drive partition and create a new one for installing Windows using fdisk.
After using fdisk, any possible remnant of PC-BSD will be removed.

gob
02-27-2007, 08:38 PM
hi there,

the problem is partly solved ! But I must disappoint you in some way because I just can't figure out what the solution is so to say what I did !!!

I did almost nothing, it seems the problem came is now gone with the wind !

I tell you what I did, I put back my NEC DVD drive, which didn't function before because of that strange problem you'll must know by now, into my desktop, to my other drive (Samsung CD-ROM)

That's about it. It worked, I installed all my drivers, perfect. It was like: "WTF - why is it suddenly working now".

But the problem with the drive on my laptop stays the same and if I practise the same "magical technique", taking out my drive during runtime or in "down state" and put it in again, doesn't take any affect. Hm if you have any suggestions on that DELL issue please let me know.

PS: I run the same Windows version on my laptop.

But what is most important on that story is - what happens if I now reformat my HD AGAIN and install PC-BSD, would there be the same problems with the drives ??? then it would be a real "PC-BSD deinstallation" problem, don't you think.

If you want me to reproduce the mistake, let me know, only for stability research for PC-BSD.

Thanks again.

gob
02-27-2007, 08:53 PM
[PARTLY SOLVED]

-desktop issue solved
-----------------------------------
-laptop issue still not solved

dracheflieger
02-27-2007, 09:03 PM
hi dracheflieger,

could you precise your problem a bit more. I don't understand what this problem has to do with mine ? I opened this thread to get an answer to the question: "How can I fix me drives that have been somehow affected/or not by a PC-BSD installation, to run again properly afterwards in windows." I know that this is hard to understand but this has nothing to do with a lack of drivers or unsupported hardware.

I understand what you are saying. I just made the point that I have done the same steps as you but without any of your problems. I don't know how to fix your problem as you seem to be the only person on these forums with your specific problem. It should make no difference what you have installed on your computer's hard drive as far as OSes, your drives should just work as they are hardware separate from the OS

GoldfrappJenny
02-27-2007, 09:17 PM
I assume it's not a faulty media issue or a master/slave problem on the IDE bus, is it?

gob
02-27-2007, 09:36 PM
sorry dracheflieger,

that you might have been a bit upset about my posting to your reply, but your posting just didn't help, saying that you didn't have the problems, sry that's no help to say "everything should have gone fine" ... the case is - it didn't and the problems with my desktop is solved so to say solved itself, I posted everything a page before.

There is still my laptop issue to solve.

But thanks anyway.

PS: Let me guess, you also didn't have that one right ? (attention: this is meant to be a joke :wink: )

dracheflieger
02-27-2007, 10:37 PM
No problem...I haven't owned a laptop since my first computer, 1984 :D

DragnLord
02-28-2007, 12:02 AM
Once again, PC-BSD does not alter any firmware. This means that if your drive worked before installing PC-BSD, then it works after PC-BSD is removed.

You stated that the drive worked for you to install Windows with, this makes it a very clear Windows problem. The drive stopped working after installing Windows, not a PC-BSD issue.

Apatewna
02-28-2007, 07:29 PM
[PARTLY SOLVED]

-desktop issue solved
-----------------------------------
-laptop issue still not solved

Shutdown the laptop. Unplug the power cord and take out the battery too. Leave it that way for some minutes (less than five). Replug the battery and power cord and test again.

Post your findings here :)