PDA

View Full Version : Scanner missing, printer works (Epson CX3200)

Thulemanden
02-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Upgraded to newest PC-BSD.

This printer is a multi. Printing works fine as does the embedded functions of cleaning the nozzles, testing the color and print and the percentage of ink remaining. Quite good work.

The bit missing is the scanning.

The Linux cousin suggests the following:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Stylus_CX3200

I am not in a position to go through with changing the kernel and recompiling etc, as was why I left Linux after several years :-(

If you could place this scanner problem on a to-do list, I would be most grateful.

Thank you.

Apatewna
02-21-2007, 05:03 PM
According to the following site your scanner has good support:
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#Z-EPSON

Now all it seems to be done is to check if Sane is installed. In PCBSD 1.3.3 it is installed:
# pkg_info|grep sane
sane-backends-1.0.18 API for access to scanners, digitals camera, frame grabbers

You can install xsane port:
% su
# cd /usr/ports/graphics/xsane && make install clean
# rehash
... and run the "xsane" command from another terminal. It should detect your scanner but that's as far as I know, I have a non-supported scanner here.

Thulemanden
02-21-2007, 07:36 PM
I did install xsane and it made no difference

%pkg_info|grep sane
sane-backends-1.0.18 API for access to scanners, digitals camera, frame grabbers
xsane-0.991_1 Gtk-based X11 frontend for SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy)
%

thanks anyway

Apatewna
02-21-2007, 07:45 PM
I did install xsane and it made no difference

%pkg_info|grep sane
xsane-0.991_1 Gtk-based X11 frontend for SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy)
%

thanks anyway

Running xsane should detect your scanner since it is supported. You mean it didn't detect it? Strange.

Try something else. Install Gimp. It has an option to import image from scanner device. See if it finds your scanner there.

On my computer it finds only my TV card as an input device although I haven't configured it yet in PCBSD. Odd, but TV cards fall into the imaging h/w category along with cameras.

Thulemanden
02-23-2007, 04:14 PM
Try something else. Install Gimp. It has an option to import image from scanner device. See if it finds your scanner there.

Doesn't see any scanner. I guess it's based on sane anyway and it should have worked in xsane before it would have worked in Gimp.

Wonder if the scanner should have been connected an on at PC-BSD intallation time. it could have been hooked on my XP gear.

dracheflieger
02-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Have you looked to see if it's detected in dmesg?

Thulemanden
02-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Have you looked to see if it's detected in dmesg?

Kooka has this error when closing:
%kooka
Qt: Locales not supported on X server
KCrash: Application 'kooka' crashing...
%

This error doesn't occur in e.g. Kmail

Plugged in the Canon scanner which gave a line in dmesg Epson didn't:

uscanner0: Canon CanoScan, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 3

Still no scanner in xsane or kooka