PDA

View Full Version : There is "startx".Where is "stopx"?:)

Stay d
01-09-2007, 02:59 AM
keywords: X Window xorg startx ./xinit killall kill xterm clean stop from console finish end session kdeinit ttys kdm xdm startkde ctrl+alt+backspace restart

Everytime I do some portupgrade on kde, I have to solve how I can do clean stop X from console and do not do something like killall X kill xterm etc. In this situation I hate xorg man pages, because they tell you how to start X in many ways like startx or ./xinit start, or how to restart X session by typing ctrl+alt+backspace. But people need not only to start something, but to finish to stop something what it has begun before that, it is clear logic, man pages and google are quiet at all on the FreeBSD platform. Even for Linux it is not so simple searching, but you find it, it is something like ./xinit stop.

If I want to stop X from ttty0-7, I know only 2 ways:

edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf by wrong way intendly and do ctrl+alt+backspace

what it finishs with not startting X again until I correct it again.

or

killall X and do not have autolanch X session after fail

Both ways are not clean at all. :cry:

dracheflieger
01-09-2007, 03:06 AM
As root shutdown now at least shuts off x so I can still login and uninstall and reinstall nvidia-drivers from ports without x warning me that it's still running.

TerryP
01-09-2007, 03:47 AM
It generally helps, a portupgrade on a running KDE Desktop is not 'fast'

Stay d
01-09-2007, 08:28 AM
As root shutdown now at least shuts off x so I can still login and uninstall and reinstall nvidia-drivers from ports without x warning me that it's still running.

If I understand correctly, it will shutdown multiuser mode and launch single user mode, which as you can guess I do not want. I still need multiuser mode, I have more opened ttys in full flow with diffrent commands, I donīt want to type it everything again from scratch.

Execute startx is very simple, I guess from your advices that FreeBSD really do not have any option like stopx. It is a disappointment for me. :cry:

antik
01-09-2007, 08:56 AM
Execute startx is very simple, I guess from your advices that FreeBSD really do not have any option like stopx. It is a disappointment for me. :cry:

If you want stopx command then press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.

Stay d
01-10-2007, 12:15 AM

If you want stopx command then press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.

As I wrote in the first post Ctrl+Alt+Backspace is not like stopx, but only restart at least in the PC-BSD 1.3.

TerryP
01-10-2007, 03:56 AM
#pgrep antik
#kill -1 3057

antik
01-10-2007, 08:24 AM
As I wrote in the first post Ctrl+Alt+Backspace is not like stopx, but only restart at least in the PC-BSD 1.3.

Comment out this line in /etc/ttys:

ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/kdm" xterm on secure

Now Ctrl+Alt+Backspace definitely works like stopx- I thought you already did it because you can't startx if this line is enabled.

Stay d
01-10-2007, 01:29 PM

Comment out this line in /etc/ttys:

ttyv8 "/usr/local/bin/kdm" xterm on secure

Now Ctrl+Alt+Backspace definitely works like stopx- I thought you already did it because you can't startx if this line is enabled.
As I understand so PC-BSD will not boot to X automaticaly as it does now by default. As you understand it is deffinitely not what I want.

I would like to stop X cleanly from console. Solvetion not walking around.

marc
01-10-2007, 01:48 PM

X is a server, not a normal app and you won`t find any "stopx' command in this particular case.
Logically there should be such command, but there is no sense to add
it to the X, so I can understand X server creators.

When you want to >quit< [quit = stop] X then you press ctrl + alt + bcksp
and that`s all. You get multiuser mode and everything works fine.
X doesn`t report any "problem", because it`s the normal way of shutting down,
a procedure called by user.

Stay d
01-12-2007, 08:02 PM

X is a server, not a normal app and you won`t find any "stopx' command in this particular case.
Logically there should be such command, but there is no sense to add
it to the X, so I can understand X server creators.
As I wrote it above before:

Even for Linux it is not so simple searching, but you find it, it is something like ./xinit stop.

I would like to ask you about my previous question like how to stop X from console for example when you are loged in through ssh session.

It is WHAT I miss in this situation.

antik
01-12-2007, 09:38 PM
I would like to ask you about my previous question like how to stop X from console for example when you are loged in through ssh session.

It is WHAT I miss in this situation.

Linux got 5 runlevels and fifth is "startx"- of course you can stop it by changing runlevel for example to 3 (or xinit stop- which is runlevel 3 anyway...). FreeBSD got only two "runlevels"- 1. single-user 2. multi-user. And X is started from command line or from /etc/ttys - yes you can stop it by going back to single-user level (# shutdown now). That's all.

marc
01-12-2007, 10:05 PM
It`s like a hunting for ghost ...

Stay d
01-13-2007, 11:28 PM
Linux got 5 runlevels and fifth is "startx"- of course you can stop it by changing runlevel for example to 3 (or xinit stop- which is runlevel 3 anyway...). FreeBSD got only two "runlevels"- 1. single-user 2. multi-user. And X is started from command line or from /etc/ttys - yes you can stop it by going back to single-user level (# shutdown now). That's all.
Okay, that was enough, I havenīt know about problem of runlevls until now, so now it is clear, why this is not possible on BSD platform at all. Thank you for your cardinal or better principal answer for this threat.

The thread should be closed now, moderators.
Thanks.

TerryP
01-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Normally if I want to build KDE quick I tend to use singleuser mode, or turn off ttyv8 for awhile.