PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Keyboard and mouse

rds_correia
06-06-2005, 08:55 AM
Hi guys :)
I'm a big noob on FreeBSD and/or PC-BSD.
Nevertheless I have tried to install FreeBSD 5.3 and FreeBSD 5.4.
I didn't come up with any big issues with these appart from my keyboard&mouse.
This is a Logitech combo with simple wireless keyboard and mouse.
The wireless basestation has an USB connector.
That means that I can go all the way through with the installation but after that I don't have keyboard or mouse.
Someone told me that the problem is that FreeBSD kernel doesn't fire up the USB deamon by default and that I should install a ps/2 keyboard and recompile the Kernel in order to solve this.
Can you tell me if I will have the same issue with PC-BSD 0.7?
If so, I think this could be discussed with the PC-BSD developpers because I've never used BSD just because of that.
I don't have several keyboards and mouses around at home.
Like me there are many more potential users that never installed it just because they had similar issues.
I say this because I know them.
Anyway even if I don't get an answer for this I'll try PC-BSD tonight and I'll find out.
Cheers

Valio
06-07-2005, 09:03 AM
How did it go?

rds_correia
07-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Sorry to come here so late...
In fact it (still) doesn't work :(.
I have tried to use this Logitech USB keyb+mouse combo on FreeBSD 4.10, 5.1, 5.3 and 5.4.
Why would I think it would ever work on PC-BSD since it's based on FreeBSD 5.4... :roll:
It runs fine on several Linux distributions that I've tried and of course on M$ Windoze 98-XP.
This looks more like an incompatibility between hardware and OS.
Anyway has anyone else had the same problem that I'm experiencing here?
BTW is there a PC-BSD hardware compatibility list?
Next time I buy a keyboard and a mouse I want to make sure it runs on every OS I want to use, especially PC-BSD ;-)
Cheers

popey
07-03-2005, 02:35 PM
This is a Logitech combo with simple wireless keyboard and mouse.
The wireless basestation has an USB connector.

I use the same, but with the usb/ps2 adapter supplied. If you didn't get one try your local computer store, most have loads as they usually get discarded.

rds_correia
07-03-2005, 06:28 PM
I see.
Mine comes with a "base station" that has a cord with two terminals.
One is a USB terminal and the other a PS/2 terminal.
Let's suppose that I want to use the PS/2 terminal instead of the USB terminal.
I want to hook it up on the MB PS/2 female, right?
Which one? The keyb PS/2 female or the mouse PS/2 female?
I've tried on the keyboard PS/2 female but unfortunately I can use the keyboard _but_ no mouse :(.
Any suggestions?
TIA

Last minute changes:
I started PC-BSD installer with the "wireless base station" connected to the USB port, as usual.
But this time I'm using PC-BSD 0.75.
And what do you know: the keyboard IS working.
As for the mouse, I still can't use it :(.
Just thought I should let you know.
Cheers

popey
07-03-2005, 07:11 PM
Yep, same as mine. The ps2 connector is for the mouse, the usb connector with a ps2 adapter is for the keyboard. If using usb, you don't need the ps2 connector as both keyboard and mouse connect via usb.

rds_correia
07-03-2005, 08:50 PM
Kool :D
Then I have to check that out :!: :)
You say that you don't have problems since you started using the PS/2s :?:
And that I should have been blessed with an extra USB to PS/2 adapter?
I can't find any such an adapter in the original box.
Is this USB to PS/2 adapter a standard thing?
I mean, if I go out and buy such an adapter do I have to say what it's for?
Cheers

pcbsdusr
07-03-2005, 09:19 PM
If you cant find one on a computer store just pm me and i will give you one. I think i have two laying around in my toolbox :)

But i am sure you will be able to find an adapter on any computer store near you!

I find strange that your probem would be solved that way because i use a USB mouse on my PC and it worked fine from the first install... Speaking frankly, i dont even see why wireless mouse and keyboard combo kits would have any problems as the real transmission with the connectors at tha back of the case is physical... rather strange...

Cheers!

Renato

popey
07-03-2005, 11:31 PM
I haven't tried using the usb connection with PCBSD, all I can say is that it has caused problems with linux distros in the past so I just use the ps2 connection which has worked with everything.
Every usb keyboard and mouse I've bought came with a usb/ps2 adapter until recently so I guess the're starting to phase them out.

rds_correia
07-03-2005, 11:35 PM
If you cant find one on a computer store just pm me and i will give you one. I think i have two laying around in my toolbox :)
Gee thanks for the offer :D.
But i am sure you will be able to find an adapter on any computer store near you!
Yes, I'm sure I'll be able to find it but thanks for the above offer anyway :)
I find strange that your probem would be solved that way because i use a USB mouse on my PC and it worked fine from the first install...
Yes, I have a corded USB mouse at work that works flawlessly with Freebie (FreeBSD LiveCD). But as said, it is corded not wireless...
Speaking frankly, i dont even see why wireless mouse and keyboard combo kits would have any problems as the real transmission with the connectors at tha back of the case is physical... rather strange...
Exactly what I have always been thinking.
What the hell - pardon my French - does BSD have anything to do with something that should be driven by itself without any special drivers or anything?
And since the keyboard is working in 0.75 installer, then it's because the USB is working, right :?:
I think the problem is Logitech :arrow: not BSD...

rds_correia
07-10-2005, 01:42 AM
That does it!
I had a hunch that the problem lied in Logitech.
So I went out and bought this microsoft combo http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=4cb4d1e3-1eab-40a0-a2db-b4b594692b6c&type=ovr.
It says it is Mac OS X compatible and Mac OS X derives from FreeBSD and so does PC-BSD.
Now I have the exact same problem with the Microsoft combo :evil: .
It's not my computer because both Logitech and Microsoft Cordless/USB combos work under Windows XP and with a couple of Linux LiveCD distros.
So what the hell is wrong here?
Is it something with the SIS chipset on my mobo not being fully compliant with FreeBSD or something?
I'm running out of options here.
Does someone have a feasible explanation for what it's happening to me?
I've tried enabling and disabling USB 2.0 and USB legacy on the BIOS but still have this issue.
TIA
Cheers

Weixiong
07-11-2005, 06:04 AM
I know it's no comfort, but I'm using a MS Explorer USB mouse and a MS TrakBall PS2 mouse on my PC with no problems. It sees the extra buttons on the Explorer but there's no way to map them through the GUI so that's a small problem for me I suppose..

I haven't tried hooking it up to the PC, but when my laptop was experiencing keyboard problems I was able to hook the USB end of a MS Natural Pro keyboard and it worked. I don't have the PS2 connection on the laptop so it worked only half hooked up.

rds_correia
07-11-2005, 09:40 AM
@Weixiong,
Thanks for the info on your own experience.
The difference between both of us that I'm trying cordless products with "basestations" that connect through USB while you are using corded products that connect through USB.

@all
Can someone please point me to a known working under PC-BSD cordless/USB keyb+mouse set?

rexbinary
08-03-2005, 09:21 PM
I have a Logitech Cordless MX Duo keyboard and mouse. PCBSD 0.7.8 would not recognize or work with my mouse when it was connected via USB. I swapped it to PS/2 using the adapter that came with the keyboard/mouse set and now my mouse is recognized and working under PCBSD.

11-15-2005, 01:49 PM
There still is the issue with cordless keyboard/mouse in 1.0rc1 (FreeBSD 6.0).

I have the Logitech UltraX Media Desktop keyb+mouse set, a cordless one with a base station.
It works fine on my Linux system, but I can't get it to work during PC-BSD installation. No mouse, no keyboard.
Even the BIOS manage to recognize when I press a key, but not PC-BSD :twisted:

KaweS
09-29-2007, 04:45 AM
Hi
It was long time ago... Now is PC-BSD 1.4 and I've got the same problem ;/ I'm using M$ Wireless Optical Desktop and I have no mouse [my keyboard works well, but mouse - not at all] I had to go through the installation with keyboard only ;[
If there is anyone who could help me ;p
Cheers

ateneo
10-28-2007, 07:57 AM
I have the same problem as you. I have a Microsoft wireless desktop set and the mouse is dead. But.. but .. i first had a ms wireless mouse and then i bought the desktop set. The receiver base of the desktop set worked with the prevoious ms wireless mouse.
When i started playing with pc-bsd i plugged the 2 base receivers: the mouse one and the "desktop set" one and i had mouse and kb in pc-bsd.
The thing is that i had to sell an entire computer and the sh**t was that i sold it with the base receiver of the old mouse and the mouse of the desktop set (i dont know why i did this), so now i cant use mouse and kb in pc-bsd.
It seems this receivers are not "standard" since when you do a fresh install of Vista (From DVD), the screen saver never activates as well power management (turn off monitor, etc...) and the first things you download from Windows Update are the non-hid package to solve the problem.
So, you want to have your Ms wireless desktop working in pc-bsd? i suggest you buy the cheapeast wireless mouse from microsoft wich i dont remember the name. So you will have 2 receivers and you can use mouse and kb at the same time. The only thing you have to do is to press the kb receiver button and then the "connect" button in your keyboard. Then press the button in the mouse receiver and press the "connect" button in the mouse.

Im gonna try to put an usb to ps2 connector to the a single desktop receiver and see if both the mouse and keyboard works, but it surely wont happen. If it works i will re-post here if it doesn't i wont post anything.

Regards.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that i dont remember if the 2 receivers can be plugged to usb. if you are going to buy the mouse and it doesnt comes with the usb to ps2 connector buy a connector and connect the mouse receiver to the mouse (green) ps2 port. I can tell you that will surely works and it comes handy since you gain an usb port.

Since i edited this after i tested the desktop receiver connected to ps2 ports:
No, it dont works anyway. When its connected to the ps2 kb (lavander colour?) the receiver works but there is no way to use the kb and mouse even taking into account that the kb and mouse sync with the receiver when you push both sides buttons.
When its connected to the mouse ps2 port (the green one) the receiver dont even turn on any light.