PDA

View Full Version : Way Too Easy!!

jglen490
10-31-2006, 04:13 PM
I've been a Linux user for a few years now, with occasional side trips into the *BSD world. Although I have a fair amount of experience with open source systems, I've always been of the mindset that I will not be a slave to my OS -- rather the OS is there for me. I can do stuff manually with config files and such, but I'd rather use CPU cycles on actual work and actual play :D !!

I installed PC-BSD 1.2 on my IBM T20 laptop at home last night and was VERY pleasantly surprised at the ease of installation and the speed at which the OS installed. My T20 is a P III 700 with 384 MB RAM, which has always worked well with enough speed to keep me from snoozing between keystrokes and I was not disappointed upon booting PC-BSD after installing.

I love the KDE desktop and am beginning to find my way around the PBI process. Smooth and easy -- I can't say it enough. While I have no problem with KMail and Konq, I am a fan of T-Bird and Firefox. I ran out of time before I could import my mail and 'net links, but I'll get to that tonite. Should be a snap.

WIFI was a problem with Linux as it is with *BSD, but I have a wired DSL connection via a router with wireless until I can get a usable wifi card and connect to it.

Thanks for the developers' hard work.

antik
10-31-2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the developers' hard work.
You can find lot's of tutorials here in forums about how to set up encrypted connections with WiFi (FreeBSD got much better wifi support than Linux BTW) and you should definitely try out PC-BSD 1.3 beta1- it's much stabler than 1.2 and got lots of improvements.

TerryP
10-31-2006, 07:02 PM
I think you mean the final 1.3 Antik :evil:

I've always been of the mindset that I will not be a slave to my OS -- rather the OS is there for me. I can do stuff manually with config files and such, but I'd rather use CPU cycles on actual work and actual play :D !!

This in my humble opinoin is one of the greatest freedoms of a real operating system made from passion not lustful money seeking.

andrethemac
12-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Even this old(er) compaq (pIII 700 mhz, 196 mb ram, 12 g disk) runs smoothly under pc-bsd 1.2 installing was indeed a breeze. getting the wlan card to work with wpa was a bit of work but the manual was good an 2 hours after starting I was surfing the web.
Soundcard gives a bit of a bad noise when the kernel starts to load.
The battery is dead so I can't tell anything on battery behaviour.
I don't now if the build in ethernet works (I suppose it does) and haven't tested the internal modem (something I probably never wil use in these days of broadband and hotspots).
Installing was fast (just a feeling, but I feel it went faster than the original w2k or linux), everything works, and quite fast too.

thanks guy's

TerryP
12-22-2006, 02:05 AM
I find I get slightly less battery life with PC-BSD then Windows XP.

Its probably because PC-BSDs performance allows me to run a lot more applications comfortably then XP did and I have a USB stick & PCMCIA card always equipped.

antik
12-22-2006, 09:14 AM

Its probably because PC-BSDs performance allows me to run a lot more applications comfortably then XP did and I have a USB stick & PCMCIA card always equipped.

That is because you don`t use cpufreq.

TerryP
12-22-2006, 04:04 PM
When I have time to inhale the manual and docs about this stuff :-)

pcbsdusr
12-22-2006, 08:01 PM

That is because you don`t use cpufreq.

We need to automatically detect and enable cpfreq on supported hardware on 1.4. This will help laptop users a lot!

TerryP
12-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Don't you mean automatically detect, enable, and provide a GUI configuration program for ?

gnutux
12-30-2006, 08:52 PM
Apparently, PCBSD does lose power faster than Linux and Windows XP on Intel based laptops, maybe because FreeBSD doesn't have full SpeedStep functionality in the kernel.

gnutux

pcbsdusr
12-30-2006, 09:48 PM
not because of a lack of functionality, because it's not enabled...

gnutux
12-30-2006, 09:55 PM
Why isn't SpeedStep enabled by default :S?

It helps save so much power for Intel laptops!

gnutux

pcbsdusr
12-30-2006, 10:12 PM
We need to implement a detection and activation system for it. I's on the bug database already. I think it will be on 1.4.