PDA

View Full Version : Custom partitioning and labeling broken 0.7.8

davidcollantes
07-19-2005, 06:12 PM
The custom partitioning and labeling (at install time, of course) on 0.7.8 is broken. Don't know about previous versions, but it seems PC-BSD wants a whole drive (without partitioning) for it. I tried creating:

/ (2 GB)
/usr (35 GB)
/usr/ports (1 GB)
/usr/local (35 GB)
/home (35 GB)
/var (4 GB)
/tmp (800 MB)
SWAP (500 MB)

I can create the partitions, but the next screen (labeling does not shows all partitions and even render negative number on the partitions that show) does not works. The options to set a label are not available neither.

I tried reducing amount of partitions, same thing. Can anyone test this and concurr? Thanks!

NOTE: Just wanted to add that it will be nice to be able to go BACK while running the installer. Right now it is not possible, at least, not after you have created partitions and moved to label them. That is bad. I don't know whether or not it is possible down the line, since I have not passed beyond partitioning/labeling point.

popey
07-19-2005, 06:30 PM
With BSD you're supposed to create one slice then use disklabel to create partitions inside that slice. It's similar to an extended partition in dos. What you tried to do was create eight slices, as a slice is a primary partition this will cause problems.

davidcollantes
07-19-2005, 06:37 PM
With BSD you're supposed to create one slice then use disklabel to create partitions inside that slice. It's similar to an extended partition in dos. What you tried to do was create eight slices, as a slice is a primary partition this will cause problems.

I am new to PC-BSD, I come from the SunOS and Linux world, but if I remember correctly I was able to create primary (4) and several extended (logical) partitions prior labeling them under FreeBSD.

Will try your recommendation now.

davidcollantes
07-19-2005, 07:21 PM
I stand corrected, the disk partitioning/labeling is not working correctly. This time I chosed the whole drive to be used by PC-BSD and checked to do the labeling. Next screen had a 999 MB SWAP and the rest to /, which isn't editable. The "Add" button was grayed out.

popey
07-19-2005, 07:26 PM
You would have to use remove first to create some space to add your custom partitioning scheme.
Have another go :D you're nearly there.

pcbsdusr
07-19-2005, 07:41 PM
LOOOOOL

kmoore134
07-19-2005, 09:32 PM
The custom partitioning and labeling (at install time, of course) on 0.7.8 is broken. Don't know about previous versions, but it seems PC-BSD wants a whole drive (without partitioning) for it. I tried creating:

/ (2 GB)
/usr (35 GB)
/usr/ports (1 GB)
/usr/local (35 GB)
/home (35 GB)
/var (4 GB)
/tmp (800 MB)
SWAP (500 MB)

I can create the partitions, but the next screen (labeling does not shows all partitions and even render negative number on the partitions that show) does not works. The options to set a label are not available neither.

David,

Thanks for the info about this problem! I'll test it here, and see if I can duplicate the issue. If so, then i'll be sure to write a fix for the next version :) (BTW, on FreeBSD/PC-BSD you dont need a /home partition, since /home is just a link to /usr/home)

davidcollantes
07-20-2005, 12:40 AM
David,

Thanks for the info about this problem! I'll test it here, and see if I can duplicate the issue. If so, then i'll be sure to write a fix for the next version :) (BTW, on FreeBSD/PC-BSD you dont need a /home partition, since /home is just a link to /usr/home)

Kris,

I did install it finally, with the partitions the way I wanted. This is what I did:

- Choose whole drive for PC-BSD and checked for labeling.
- Next screen had a SWAP partition of 999 MB (which could not be removed) and a huge / parttion.
- I highlighted the huge / and chose Edit, gave / 2GB.
- Then proceed to highlight the same / and edit it over and over, assigning space for the rest of my desired partition schema.

The BACK button still does not works while you are at the labeling screen. I think it should, should the user change its mind on the hard drive usage. And the whole partition procedure I have to try and trial till I managed to figure out how it worked. It could be easier, like instead of a big / partition, have it say "Unpartitioned".

I will wipe my install tomorrow and will start from scratch (will fdisk the HD) to see how it goes. I will come back here to document it.

Cheers!

Nik
07-29-2005, 03:16 PM
Another issue with PCBSD partitioning.

my HDD have that configuration:
25Gb - fat32, after that 5Gb - free space, and at last 30Gb - FreeBSD slice

after i tried to install PCBSD over free space i have it (PSBSD slice) on the end of the disk:
25Gb - fat32, after that 5Gb - free space, after that 25Gb - FreeBSD slice remains, and at last 5Gb - PSBSD slice

i need to say i`m used that configuration before, and it perfectly work with GNU cfdisk and FreeBSD sysinstall.

P51D
08-11-2005, 01:28 PM
Hello everybody

Kmoore134, I know this is a beta version, but I should suggest a swap size more according to the space given to install PCBSD.

I've installed PCBSD on a 3 GB free disk space and, after installed, I've found that the swap space is almost 1 GB. That don't let too much free space to do anything :).

Regards

Antonio

WolfmanK
08-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Is there anyway to correct the labeling after PCBSD has screwed it up?

I have separate disks for my dual boot system btu the BSD bootloader labels are fubared........

Is it possable to edit these?