PDA

View Full Version : 1.11a -> 1.2, now desktop won't appear

mechno
09-04-2006, 05:21 AM
After using the update pbi, I restarted and logged in. The system acted like it was going to log me in, but instead just hung on a screen with the blue PCBSD logo on it. The only key reaction I can get is ALT+TAB and that just tells me "No other windows".

Anyone else seen this?

TerryP
09-04-2006, 03:46 PM
You might try removing your ~/.kde folder.

Control+Alt+F2, log in as your user
rm -rf .kde
Control+Alt+F9
try again, should take a bit but run through the KDE setup wizard letting you choose styles/performance/keyboard config e.t.c.

Been a long time since I've seen this problem chop up

mechno
09-05-2006, 01:25 AM
Thanks fo the keys to access the console, it was a big help!
Unfortunately, I still am not booting. The wizard completed but during the startup, it works its way through the stages, but when it gets to the ""loading the desktop" i takes a while and then the status icons dissappear and I'm left with the blue pcbsd desktop.
Any other ideas?

TerryP
09-05-2006, 04:37 AM
I'd try to add a new user and log in from that.

control+alt+f2 (or any Function key not F1 or F9)
login as root
adduser

Add user will ask some questions, what ever is between a set of [ ] is default. You will want to be ready to supply a username and password, rest defualt is fine. If you want to be able to su to root from this user, add him to the wheel group. I'd also suggest ether tcsh or bash for the shell if you have any preference.

Control+Alt+F9 and login /w the new user and see if that will work and we'll see how things stand up. If you use auto-login you might want to control+alt+backspace while the desktop loads. This restarts the X server and I _think_ that it gives you a graphical login prompt. (kdm).

mechno
09-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Unfortunately, even with a brand new user, the "loading desktop" fails in the same manor.
Shouldn't there be a logfile generated? Again, thank you for your assistace.

TerryP
09-05-2006, 11:41 PM
Xorg logfile should be /var/log/Xorg.0.log (or close to it).

I admit I'm rather low on ideas =S

antik
09-06-2006, 06:17 AM
Xorg logfile should be /var/log/Xorg.0.log (or close to it).

I admit I'm rather low on ideas =S

KDE and Xorg userlog files are in user home directory.

~/.xsession-errors

dracheflieger
09-06-2006, 01:08 PM
KDE and Xorg userlog files are in user home directory.

~/.xsession-errors

Anyway to set a timestamp, line for line in it?

TerryP
09-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Hmmm

mechno
09-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the help!
I've gone ahead and done a reinstall. :(
yeah yeah, quiters never win...