PDA

View Full Version : No iconv() implementation found in C library or libiconv

08-09-2006, 11:19 PM
I got this error while trying to configure glib-2.10.0
I know that libiconv is installed because I just installed it but obviously it needs some sort of config but since I am new at this stuff, I do not know what to do. Any help is appreciated.

checking for iconv_open... no
checking for libiconv_open in -liconv... no
checking for iconv_open in -liconv... no
configure: error: *** No iconv() implementation found in C library or libiconv
PCBSD#

Can someone give me a clue?
Thanks.

TerryP
08-10-2006, 01:12 AM
libiconv is a character set conversion lib, glib to my info is a jack of all trades weather you use gtk+ or not.

The configure error suggests to me for some reason the application is trying to make a function call that it's not finding in the source or headers, why is beyond me with this much information.

PC-BSD_1.2%pkg_info |grep glib
glib-2.10.3 Some useful routines of C programming (current stable version)

Why are you installing an older version of what you have or am I mistaken?

08-10-2006, 02:20 AM
libiconv is a character set conversion lib, glib to my info is a jack of all trades weather you use gtk+ or not.

The configure error suggests to me for some reason the application is trying to make a function call that it's not finding in the source or headers, why is beyond me with this much information.

PC-BSD_1.2%pkg_info |grep glib
glib-2.10.3 Some useful routines of C programming (current stable version)

Why are you installing an older version of what you have or am I mistaken?
Truthfully, I was going by the SeaMonkey from source requirements list and that seemed to be the newest at the site that visited from the links in the page. I do not know all of the ins and outs of a lot of this stuff. Some things I am OK with.
Anyway, I will probably search out what you said is the newest and install that.
Thanks again.

08-10-2006, 01:38 PM
I have been trying to get this iconv thing figured out and fixed but am still having a bit of trouble. I get the same error message when trying to install various things like glib, jpeg-6b, and well, I do not know enough yet to figure it out for myself.
This is the message from the crash handeler. I am just labeling it as code to make it stand out.
Starting calendar alarm service
error creating table cal_calendars -- probably already exists
error creating table cal_calendars_prefs -- probably already exists
observer added

I know that iconv has something to do with conversion but what I really want to know is, if there is supposed to be an open emplimentation where the program installations are looking, and there is not, where is it. I think this has something to do with the differences in the folders between Linux and BSD. I have noticed that there are some folders that in Linux, usually contain system items and such but in BSD/UNIX, these items are not there and there are some other directories there that I do not know about, that seem to be specific to PCBSD itself. If anyone knows about these things and would be interested in taking the time to explain this as breifly or not so breifly as possible, I am interested in learning as much about this stuff as possible

dracheflieger
08-10-2006, 02:05 PM
Have you dropped to root and installed any of these in /usr/ports ?

converters/iconv Charset conversion library and utilities
converters/iconv-extra Additional charsets for the iconv library (those from the Unicode site)
converters/iconv-rfc1345 Additional charset modules for the iconv library (from RFC1345)
converters/libiconv A character set conversion library

It may help. That's one thing I usually do when having compilation problems is to search the ports tree and see if I can find anything related.