PDA

View Full Version : Sound problems

David30
06-15-2012, 09:31 PM
The sound in PC-BSD 9 (64-bit) works, but it emits a permanent "hiss" noise through the speakers. When I plug the headphones in, the sound only comes out of one side (and this "hiss" is still there with the headphones too).

The headphones work fine, because I don't have any problems with the sound - on the same computer - when I use Ubuntu or Windows 7.

David30
06-16-2012, 09:40 PM
I can't get the sound to work on the Sega emulator, called Kega Fusion. I've tried changing the sound setting in its .ini file (from plughw to default), saved the file, but I still cannot enable the sound.

Cobalt
06-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Run the emulator with a terminal, then post the output here. I have a lot of experience with emulators.

By the way, Gens is a pretty good emulator. You might want to try it if you can't get Kega Fusion working.

David30
06-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Attached are 2 files created after running the Linux version of Kega Fusion in PC-BSD.

Each file shows the Terminal output after changing the sound settings in the Fusion.ini file. This .ini file is created when Kega Fusion has been opened - it's located in the hidden .Kega Fusion directory, in the /home folder.

The two possible values are: ALSADeviceName=plughw
This is the default setting.

You can change it to: ALSADeviceName=default
This change makes the sound in Kega Fusion work better in Ubuntu, otherwise other programs which play sound will have to be closed first. I'm guessing it's to do with PulseAudio and ALSA in Linux? I don't know.

I have no idea how the sound in PC-BSD works.