View Full Version : serial permissions
04-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Hello. I am trying to communicate with a serial device using a windows program running with wine. The program does not see the serial port(s). I believe it may be due to serial permissions not set (I know the hardware works because the program works with ubuntu and also with windows).
Does anyone know how to set serial permissions? The linux-type commands do not work - no surprise.
Thanks for any help.
04-07-2012, 12:53 AM
Isn't this the same issue as the last thread? I may not know what I'm talking about but you didn't answer the question there. :)
The wine wiki (http://www.witch.westfalen.de/Wine-HOWTO/ch-serial.html#SERIALPORT) suggests that "the serial port must be set up in win.ini". Did you do that?
04-07-2012, 02:03 AM
I just realized you said the program works with Ubuntu, so I assume that means in wine. Perhaps the problem stems from different device naming in BSD. I had a quick look at WineHQ and it suggests making links.
So, whereas in Linux you might do "ln -s /dev/ttyS0 com1", perhaps that should be "/dev/cuad0" in PC-BSD. Or perhaps "/dev/cuau0". Just guessing. :)
04-07-2012, 03:59 AM
Thank you, sir, for your replies. I started the new thread with a different approach to the same problem, thinking the last thread would be "dead", or not noticed anymore. I still have a bit to learn about forum procedures and practices.
Allow me to explain:
I was evaluating different operating systems out there.
The documentation that was suggested did not seem to apply to my situation.
The Wine Wiki referred to "/dev/ttyS*", which I now learn is not correct for PC-BSD. Using the command "ls -al /dev/ttyS*" produced the response "no match".
Frustrated, I moved on to other systems. I like the PC-BSD interface, so I continue to pursue trying to get it to work for my situation. Learning from other systems, I am trying the "serial permissions" idea, not knowing if it evens applies here.
I see that "ln -al /dev/cuau*" gives a good response, whereas any other letter combination gives "no match".
I tried "ln -s /dev/cuau0 com1" and got no error messages, but no effect either.
I tried "chmod a+rw /dev/cuau0" and saw the expected effect in the response to "ln -al /dev/cuau*", but it too did not get the program to communicate with the serial device.
The same program works (in varying degrees) with the same device on the same computer when using Knoppix, Ubuntu and Fedora. Fedora gave me the "permissions" problem which was fixed with the chmod command.
I continue to try to get PC-BSD to work with my situation. Thanks for your help.
04-07-2012, 04:17 AM
Thank you, sir, for your replies. I started the new thread with a different approach to the same problem, thinking the last thread would be "dead", or not noticed anymore. I still have a bit to learn about forum procedures and practices. ...
You're welcome. Sorry I'm not that useful either. :) From what you say, it does sound like permissions may indeed be a worthwhile issue to pursue.
Nothing wrong with starting a new thread if you think it is useful. If you did add to the old one, it would nevertheless be "bumped" to the top and thus noticed again. Anyway, what is acceptable varies from forum to forum. This one doesn't get a lot of traffic so often questions go unanswered. Hopefully that will change with time.
vBulletin® v3.8.5, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.