PDA

View Full Version : How can I tell what version I'm running?

sblevin
10-28-2005, 11:32 AM
I feel really dumb asking this, but how can I tell what version I'm running?

I was hoping for a Version-PC-BSD-0.8.3 text file on the root of the CD image or something: is there a way to find out? I keep burning ISO's and deleting the source files, and I was too lazy to find a pen to write the version number on the disks, but it was always the one on the top of the pile : )

Then, while looking for my System Shock 1 CD I knocked all the disks over the floor and I have NO idea what s what : )

Solarin
10-28-2005, 01:04 PM
KMenu -> Computer -> PC-BSD Settings -> System

That control panel will tell you what version you're running, trouble is it only exists for 0.8.3 systems that've downloaded the patch for it :wink:

There are other ways, but vary from version to version mostly.

sblevin
10-28-2005, 01:10 PM
Thanks Solarin - I can't wait for the patch : )

What do you think about a defined system, like an environment variable or updateable .file somewhere, so we can check for version data - especially when making PBI files that are complied against kernel source, or other reasons you may NEED to know the specific versions number?

kmoore134
10-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Here's a nifty command you can run:

# PBReg get /PC-BSD/Version

That will return the version number, which lets you take advantage of it in scripts and such :)

sblevin
10-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Here's a nifty command you can run:

# PBReg get /PC-BSD/Version

That will return the version number, which lets you take advantage of it in scripts and such :)

YAYYYYY! Thanks Kris!