PDA

View Full Version : Network Printer won't print.

bforest
11-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Hello All...

Customer recently purchased OfficeJet 6500 (e709a) printer. Workstation was running PC-BSD 8.0.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3795314&

I added this printer to the network (hardwired) and connected via cups. Printed just fine.

Last week I updated the workstation to PC-BSD 8.1. Added the printer using the printer GUI. There is no driver for this series printer. I tried 6105 and 6110 and some others. I am sure during initial troubleshooting I attempted reinstall of printer using CUPS Web interface.

Driver Search: Cannot find *.ppd. HP says something about HPLIP but I don't see that listed on any of the listed drivers in cups. I know it is installed.

What happens in all cases is I send the job to the printer. Wait a few seconds.

1) In CUPS: the print job goes into completed queue.

2) At printer: the printer makes a little triple ding sound. Same sound it makes when finished printing. BUT nothing prints!

I found this link where someone on a Mac had a similar issue but no resolution is listed.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=753667

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I am asking here because it worked fine in ver 8.0.

-Ben

Ralph_Ellis
11-14-2010, 02:14 AM
This printer probably supports Postscript level 3. You could install it as a basic postscript printer. It will take longer to print but it should print just fine.
I have always liked the printer administration tool in KDE3. If you cannot get this to work, do as root
pkg_add -r kdeadmin3
or
pkg_add -r kde3
to start the printer control utility, type as a regular user
kcontrol
Go to Peripherals
Go to Printers
Make sure that you have selected CUPS in the bottom right hand corner
Hit the Administrator Mode button and type in the root password
Just follow along with the wizard to add the printer.

bforest
11-16-2010, 11:08 PM
I had a feeling this might be a driver issue...

We had another PCBSD system (v8.0) so I set it up to print to this printer. I was able to choose a driver that had "hpijs" listed instead of that "gutenprint" driver.

It was able to perform the print test ok.

When I went to the room with the printer to verify it printed, that was when I noticed the "hpijs" listed on the print test sheet (it printed ok). On the PCBSD v8.1 there are no (as in NONE) drivers listed under the HP brand with "hpijs". All are "foomatic/gutenprint".

I would like to assume here that this is some mistake and the HPIJS drivers are simply missing in PCBSD v8.1.

What do I need to do to get these back in the CUPS listing??

Thanks!!

bforest
11-17-2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks for your suggestion.

I did attempt to print to this printer as a postscript printer (via CUPS Web Admin) but it had same results(problem).

Also.. I am not comfortable installing KDE3 just for one app when KDE4 should work fine.

Ralph_Ellis
11-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Normally You should be able to add the hpjis printers by doing as root:
pkg_add -r hpjis

I did see a note that the port hpjis is broken though. This could be the route cause of the problem.
You may be able to find help getting this to work at:

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-OfficeJet_6500_Wireless

I could not find a set ppd file for you to use.

bforest
11-18-2010, 08:31 PM
I did see a note that the port hpjis is broken though. This could be the route cause of the problem.

ah.. Thanks for that info. I just checked Freshports? http://www.freshports.org/print/hpijs/

{28 Mar 2010 09:57:10
Original commit files touched by this commit 2.1.4_5
- remove BROKEN, verified build and install in a clean jail.}

Looks like it is broken again.. since Mar 2010.

Ralph_Ellis
11-19-2010, 01:17 AM
Does the OfficeJet 6500 accept emulation for any other sort of printer? Most modern printers will accept some sort of PCL 1, 2 or 3 emulation or your printer can pretend to be another type of printer. Does your manual suggest any of these options?

bforest
11-30-2010, 04:02 AM
I have not checked for emulation but, This is an HP printer... Who are they gonna emulate?

hpijs 2.1.4_5 port is still listed as broken on freshports.org. I don't see this port being used on PCBSD v8.0.
foomatic-db-hpijs-1.4 port is listed as ok on freshports.org

1) Is there any info on when the issue (of no hpijs drivers listed in CUPS) will be addressed? Or is there a status?

2) Does anyone else see the hpijs drivers missing in PCBSD v8.1?

3) Would reinstalling the foomatic-db-hpijs-1.4 help?

PCBSD v8.1 config

$ pkg_info | grep hp
foomatic-db-hpijs-1.4 Foomatic data for the HPIJS printer drivers
hplip-3.10.5_1 Drivers and utilities for HP Printers and All-in-One device

$ uname -a
FreeBSD CCA_Main 8.1-RELEASE
FreeBSD 8.1-RELEASE #1: Sat Jul 17 11:59:09 PDT 2010
root@build8x32.pcbsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/local_storage/pcbsd-build81-x32/fbsd-source/8.1/sys/PCBSD i386

PCBSD v8.0 config

[user@wstation7]/home/user(102)% pkg_info | grep hp
foomatic-db-hpijs-1.4 Foomatic data for the HPIJS printer drivers
hplip-3.9.8_2 Drivers and utilities for HP Printers and All-in-One device

[user@wstation7]/home/user(103)% uname -a
FreeBSD wstation7 8.0-RELEASE-p2
FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p2 #4: Thu Jan 7 09:20:42 PST 2010
root@build8x32.pcbsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/pcbsd-build80/fbsd-source/8.0-src/sys/PCBSD i386

bforest
12-02-2010, 08:42 PM
Hello Mr. Ellis, I checked for emulation...

- Documentation says this printer only uses "HP PCL 3".

(See first post for link to documentation for printer)

1) Is there any info on when the issue (of no hpijs drivers listed in CUPS) will be addressed? Or is there a status?

2) Does anyone else see the hpijs drivers missing under CUPS in PCBSD v8.1?

3) Would reinstalling the foomatic-db-hpijs-1.4 help?

Ralph_Ellis
12-05-2010, 05:03 AM
It appears that the printer supports Postscript Compatible Laser 3 language so you may be able to print to it using a generic postscript 3 or PCL 3 driver. It won't have the full features of the printer available but you should be able to print. Make sure that you have the foomatic databases installed.

http://www.freshports.org/search.php?query=foomatic&search=go&num=10&stype=name&method=match&deleted=excludedeleted&start=1&casesensitivity=caseinsensitive

Hopefully this helps. Reinstalling foomatic-db-hpijs-1.4 could not hurt at this point.
Good luck.

bforest
01-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Hello!

I performed a test installation of 8.2beta1 and checked to see if the "hplip" printing issues discussed in this thread have been resolved. It appears they are not.

I went into CUPS web interface and attempted to add the HP 6500 series printer.

I selected the HPLIP when asked what type of connection and entered the URI for the printer. When I got to the listing of HP printers the HPLIP entries are still missing.

1) I was able to setup the printer using the gutenprint/foomatic drivers listed. The result was the same problem: The printer acknowledges receiving data by beeping but no actual printing comes out.

2) I also set up the printer using Postscript driver. In that case the printer did nothing.

I am strongly under the impression that the HP has something special in the HPLIP that needs to be sent to the printer.

I am sure I could continue to reroute the print jobs to this printer back through another system that is still running PCBSD v8.0 but this is not practical because I want to update ALL my 8.0 systems to 8.2 when it is ready.

Unless there are significant upgrades happening to the printing subsystem between 8.0 and 8.2 I am hoping you will consider rolling back the printing subsystem to 8.0 so hplip drivers will be available.

I will download v8.2RC1 and test there as well.

kmoore134
01-11-2011, 07:05 PM
Looks like something in an update to hplip broke this:

Version 8.0
hplip-3.9.8_2

Version 8.2
hplip-3.10.9

Is this printer directly connected via USB, or is this over the network?
There is an option for SNMP network support I can try to enable.

If it is a network printer, you can try enabling this option and
rebuilding the print/hplip port as well.

bforest
01-11-2011, 08:33 PM
http://forums.pcbsd.org/showpost.php?p=84297&postcount=3

** This is a network connected printer.

I think the issue is missing "hpijs" drivers in the CUPS printer listings.

(I didn't mean for this example to be so small) I created this on an v8.0 system.

How do I add this screen shot so you can see it clearly?

kmoore134
01-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Hplip should contain all the hpijs stuff with it. However if this is a
network printer then its likely it was the issue I described with how we
compiled the hplip port. I've got builds of 8.2-RC2 building now, which
has the network stuff enabled in hplip, so hopefully that'll take care
of it.

If you want to test out the network fix on your RC1 system, you can do
so with these steps (as root)

# portsnap fetch extract update
# cd /usr/ports/print/hplip
# make deinstall
# setenv WITH_SNMP yes
# make install

bforest
02-07-2011, 02:03 PM
I would like to verify that I have tested 8.2-RC2 last week and the printer functions again.

Your network config changes to hplip were successful.

Thanks kmoore134 and Ralph_Ellis for replying to this posting.