PDA

View Full Version : Failed to create dir 'usr' during 'Installing PC-BSD' screen

marvelconcept
10-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Everything seems to be working fine up until the "Installing PC-BSD" screen.
For each file that is being copied (so it seems). The sentence "Failed to create dir 'usr': Failed to create file or directory" is right beside the filename.

When the installation completes, I get the same error as http://www.pcbsd.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1742&highlight= Medic350

There are no other OS's in the HD (IDE, 20GB, Maxtor). The entire HD is used for pcbsd. I'm using PCBSD 0.8.2.

So I try out the possible solutions stated in that post and in other posts, articles, books, faqs
1) Checked the MD5 checksum of ISO. it's good. The burn was good
1.1) Tried different HD to install on (10G Seagate, 15GB Fireball)
2) Tried LBA, Large, Auto setting in BIOS
3) Disabled ACPI aware OS in BIOS
4) Tried fdisk /mbr from a win98 disk
5) Auto labeling of the bsd partition ( /swap, /usr , /etc, ...)
6) Manual labeling of the bsd partition (/swap - 512MB, / - *)
7) Tried installing Freebsd 5.4 release (failed - 'couldn't make filesystem properly') or other times it'd write (Error: unable to write data to disk) after trying to make the filesystem
8) Used fdisk from win98 cd to verify HD integrity - no problems.
9) Disabled SMART (Ultra DMA)
10) Put HD and CDdrive same IDE cable (Master/Slave)
11) Put HD and CDdrive separate IDE cable (Master/Master)

Still the issue continues. So I installed Knoppix 3.9, works fine. Tried installing winXP, works fine.

For some reason FreeBSD based OS's don't like that computer. But still I persist with BSD.

Any suggestions that I can add to my possible solution list?

antik
10-20-2005, 11:49 PM
Everything seems to be working fine up until the "Installing PC-BSD" screen.
For each file that is being copied (so it seems). The sentence "Failed to create dir 'usr': Failed to create file or directory" is right beside the filename.

When the installation completes, I get the same error as http://www.pcbsd.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1742&highlight= Medic350

There are no other OS's in the HD (IDE, 20GB, Maxtor). The entire HD is used for pcbsd. I'm using PCBSD 0.8.2.

So I try out the possible solutions stated in that post and in other posts, articles, books, faqs
1) Checked the MD5 checksum of ISO. it's good. The burn was good
1.1) Tried different HD to install on (10G Seagate, 15GB Fireball)
2) Tried LBA, Large, Auto setting in BIOS
3) Disabled ACPI aware OS in BIOS
4) Tried fdisk /mbr from a win98 disk
5) Auto labeling of the bsd partition ( /swap, /usr , /etc, ...)
6) Manual labeling of the bsd partition (/swap - 512MB, / - *)
7) Tried installing Freebsd 5.4 release (failed - 'couldn't make filesystem properly') or other times it'd write (Error: unable to write data to disk) after trying to make the filesystem
8) Used fdisk from win98 cd to verify HD integrity - no problems.
9) Disabled SMART (Ultra DMA)
10) Put HD and CDdrive same IDE cable (Master/Slave)
11) Put HD and CDdrive separate IDE cable (Master/Master)

Still the issue continues. So I installed Knoppix 3.9, works fine. Tried installing winXP, works fine.

For some reason FreeBSD based OS's don't like that computer. But still I persist with BSD.

Any suggestions that I can add to my possible solution list?

Fdisk can't verify your disk integrity- try scandisk. I think your drive contains bad sectors. Better if you download drive manufacturer disk analyzer or something and test with this.

marvelconcept
10-21-2005, 07:09 PM
I tried the utility the Maxtor.com provides for HD problems. I did a low level format of the drive which I hope would work but the issues still occur. I'm sure it's just a HD problem. Looks like I'll have to dish out the cash to get FBSD to work. =(

kmoore134
10-22-2005, 03:35 AM
I've made quite a few improvements to the installer at this point, it might have been how 0.8.2 was Fdisk'ing the drive that was causing your issues. Check out 0.8.3 this weekend, and let me know if it solves the problems. It has on quite a few other peoples systems :)

marvelconcept
10-23-2005, 03:03 AM
Although it may be PCBSD's Fdisk, I don't think it is because even FreeBSD 5.4 release could not 'properly make the filesystem'. Even FreeSBIE could not make a filesystem. It's as if FreeBSD wants a "100% free of corruption" HD before it even considers going further with the installation. If that's the case, it can be both good and bad.

I just picked up a Western Digital 80GB drive (/w 8mb cache that prob. won't make much diff). Everyone I talked to preferred WD over a regular Maxtor in terms of general reliability. I'll try installing PCBSD sometime over the weekend and let u know what happens.

Charles
10-23-2005, 05:50 PM
Yes, I would advise 2x HDD Western Digital Raptor SATA 10,000rpm (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6924206&type=product&id=1097580128836) in Raid-0. It's damn fast. I have never had any problem with them. I also like Seagate HDDs 8)

marvelconcept
10-28-2005, 06:16 PM
So after downloading the latest version, 0.8.3, I felt excited to finally get a chance to try PCBSD but after booting off the CDROM, I get stuck on the "starting system" screen with the nice flower background. Right away I thought that this could be another HW problem.

All I wanted was a Desktop BSD system to tryout. So I did the next best thing. I followed the instructions from 1) http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x11.html and 2) http://freebsd.kde.org/instructions.php. Now I have KDE 3.4 running on FreeBSD 5.3.

I'm no BSD wiz and the setup was actually easier than I thought. The graphical install is nothing compared to PCBSD but as long as you select the "X-user" distribution during install (X window and Xorg is automatically installed with specified distribution) then follow the steps from the above links, things should go smoothly.

The only thing I'd like to know is how long is takes to install apps on PCBSD. I couldn't believe how long it took to make and make install Firefox (1hr) with an AMD 1.4Ghz machine. I'd hate to know long it would take to do the same for openoffice!

antik
10-28-2005, 07:02 PM
So after downloading the latest version, 0.8.3, I felt excited to finally get a chance to try PCBSD but after booting off the CDROM, I get stuck on the "starting system" screen with the nice flower background. Right away I thought that this could be another HW problem.

This is known ACPI problem- try boot ACPI disabled...

marvelconcept
10-28-2005, 09:57 PM
This is known ACPI problem- try boot ACPI disabled...

I've tried all of the things listed in my original post above

antik
10-29-2005, 06:16 AM
The only thing I'd like to know is how long is takes to install apps on PCBSD. I couldn't believe how long it took to make and make install Firefox (1hr) with an AMD 1.4Ghz machine. I'd hate to know long it would take to do the same for openoffice!

You can download OpenOffice 2.0 for FreeBSD from openoffice.org site and install it from command line:

# pkg_add Openoffice_file_you_downloaded2.0.tgz

marvelconcept
10-30-2005, 12:28 AM
You can download OpenOffice 2.0 for FreeBSD from openoffice.org site and install it from command line:

Yeah. I just tried installing gimp 2.2 from FreeBSD using packages. It's much, much faster than compiling. It's good that it checks for dependencies. What I ended up doing was a cvsup for the ports that gimp depended on: x11tools, print, and so on. I had thought that doing a pkg_add would auto download required ports as the 'make' command does with the ports system. I also thought pkg_add would update your ports for you if you had older versions of required ports. I know it's not much work to just update them with cvsup but perhaps there's another way.

The only GNU tools I'm looking for, that I once had under a Windows desktop , are tool like TotalCommander and TortoiseCVS. CVS from command line can get ugly and TortoiseCVS integrates right in WinExlorer. I use TotalCommander for easy GUI file syncronization.

My search continues...