PDA

View Full Version : setting screen resolution within Vmware Fusion

corby
06-16-2010, 05:39 AM
Hello,

I have installed PC-BSD 8.0 on a 13 inch MacBook Pro, using Vmware Fusion 3.10 I am having trouble setting the proper screen resolution.

The native resolution of the screen is 1280 x 800, but using that setting doesn't seem to work. The VM reverts to 1024 x 768.

I tried rebooting and using the X configuration wizard. The best luck i have had was using the VESA driver and selecting 1280 x 800. Oddly, when the preview of that setting appears the resolution looks correct, but when I accept it, the resolution immediately changes to 1280 x 720 (with black bars at the top and bottom) That's alot better, but with a 13 inch monitor, I need all the pixels I can get.

In the Display settings I see the following:
Video Card: SVGA II Adapter (no option to make changes)
Monitor: Unknown Monitor (no option to make changes)
Color Depth: Options for 16bit and 24 bit. Choosing either one doesn't resolve the problem
Video Driver: Vmware with plenty of options for choosing other drivers.

Has anyone been able to get PCBSD running on a MacBook Pro under Vmware Fusion and get the native 1280 x 800 resolution to work?

Thank you for any help

Corby

kmoore134
06-16-2010, 01:46 PM
Have you tried installing the vmware tool set for FreeBSD? I think it
includes a Xorg driver which may let you set
resolutions properly, not sure how well vesa driver will play with it :)

corby
06-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Hi Kris,

Indeed I have NOT installed the tools. That would probably help :)

At the time I was working on it, it seems that the Vmware site was having difficulty and would bomb out after about 25% download.

Since my original posting, I've made some progress though. Booting to the X configuration wizard didn't work.

However, I was able to boot into the OS normally and go to the Display configuration and set the resolution to the desired 1280 x 800.

Strangely though, after rebooting the resolution setting is not remembered until I go back to the display configuration. As soon as I open the display configuration panel, the resolution corrects itself without me actually making any changes. In other words, just the action of opening the display configuration brings back the desired setting.

Maybe installing the VMware tools will help. I won't be at the machine until much later today.

kmoore134
06-16-2010, 04:59 PM
If you load the kmenu -> applications -> system -> screen resize and
rotate does it apply as well? You may be able to have that tool
auto-start and keep the right res when you reboot :)

corby
06-16-2010, 06:53 PM
I will give that a try! I have a regular job during the day and only get to play at night. I've tinkered with FreeBSD on and off (mostly off), since version 4.

With your now mature PC-BSD and Dru's book, I'm hoping to get further along than in the past. I've given up on several occasions after getting frustrated with X, but it looks like that hurdle is close to becoming overcome thanks to PC-BSD. Using virtual machines helps enormously too.

Thanks so much for your contribution and making FreeBSD accessible for the average person. I cringe when people brag about Ubuntu, but I don't have enough BSD experience to have an intelligent conversation about either one.

Regardless of the politics and philosophy, I'll try what you have suggested, hopefully tonight.

corby
06-17-2010, 04:57 AM

That worked! I don't quite understand what I just did though. I ran the screen resize and rotate application and now it starts automatically after logging in and sets the correct resolution.

What causes that to start automatically, after just running the application?

corby
06-17-2010, 05:03 AM

That worked! I don't quite understand what I just did though. I ran the screen resize and rotate application and now it starts automatically after logging in and sets the correct resolution.

What causes that to start automatically, after just running the application?

kmoore134
06-17-2010, 01:26 PM
I don't know the specific internals, but it does register itself as a startup app, and should apply your resolution at login from here on out. Glad it worked for you!

corby
06-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Yes, it's working, but I do find it a bit creepy that a program sets itself to start automatically without ever asking permission to even a warning.

That seems more like what a closed source/proprietory product would do.