PDA

View Full Version : 1.44 Floppy Non-Functional under KDE

Opteron275HE
04-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Hi, running newest PC-BSD v8.R2. dmesg finds floppy controller and floppy drive. KDE shows the proper icon and when I insert a driver disk and click on the icon, it will not access the drive. I am using this on my TYAN S4881, mobo is brand new, and I tried 2 different floppy drives, 1 standard and 1 IDE to no avail. Part of the dmesg follows:
fdc0: <floppy drive controller> port 0x3f0-0x3f5,0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on acpi0
fdc0: [FILTER]
fd0: <1440-KB 3.5" drive> on fdc0 drive 0
:confused:
In fact, the only failure I am getting in my dmesg concerns 1 LG SATA Multifunction DVD player. But it actually preforms well through KDE
dmesg on SATA DVD follows:
acd1: DVDR <HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22LS40/LL02> at ata3-master SATA150
amr0: delete logical drives supported by controller
amrd0: <LSILogic MegaRAID logical drive> on amr0
amrd0: 17497MB (35833856 sectors) RAID 0 (optimal)
uhub0: 10 ports with 10 removable, self powered
acd1: FAILURE - INQUIRY ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00 sks=0x40 0x00 0x01
(probe1:ata1:0:0:0): TEST UNIT READY. CDB: 0 0 0 0 0 0
(probe1:ata1:0:0:0): CAM Status: SCSI Status Error
(probe1:ata1:0:0:0): SCSI Status: Check Condition
(probe1:ata1:0:0:0): NOT READY asc:3a,1
(probe1:ata1:0:0:0): Medium not present - tray closed
(probe1:ata1:0:0:0): Unretryable error
uhub1: 10 ports with 10 removable, self powered
acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x11 ascq=0x00
acd0: FAILURE - INQUIRY ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00
acd0: FAILURE - INQUIRY ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00
acd1: FAILURE - INQUIRY ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00 sks=0x40 0x00 0x01

But I do not want to get off-topic here with the DVD drive, I will save that for another day. Any ideas on the floppy drive issues????
Does PC-BSD have an email address where we can send out our dmesg?
or can I post it here??? TIA........BSD-Mike

foxofinfinety
04-27-2010, 11:59 AM
about the errors on the DVD-drive:
that's probably because there's no disk.

as for the floppy drive.
do you get a error in dolphin?
if so, what?

bjs
04-27-2010, 12:47 PM
I had the same problem. I was able to access the drive in konsole as root but not as a regular user in dolphin. There was a thread here about it but I guess it got lost in the migration to the new forum. Anyway, I believe the problem lies with hald and/or polkit. I found a work around (it wasn't perfect but it did work) but I can't remember what all it involved. I do remember I added a line to /etc/fstab as well as entries in /etc/devfs.conf and/or /etc/devfs.rules. I will try to get a look at that computer an see exactly what I did and post it back here.

Maybe the moderators could find that old thread and get it moved here.

Note: I had the same problem with v.7.x but that fix didn't work with v.8.0.

Opteron275HE
04-27-2010, 01:06 PM
Hi, unfortunately no errors are showing up anywhere, I will take a hard look at fstab and the related today. It did this same thing on a fresh install on a different mobo, that one was a Tyan S2895. TIA to everyone who responded. Mike

Forgot to add....Cannot even mount the drive through the console (root), I tried to mount the drive and copy dmesg.txt over but the drive failed to respond - even as sudo su

kmoore134
04-27-2010, 01:26 PM
First thing to do is ensure you can mount the floppy at all via the
command-line, once you've confirmed that, then we know its a KDE / HAL
issue, not detecting / using the right mount options for your diskette.

Opteron275HE
04-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi Kris, finally got an error message - ( org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.UnkownFailure )
It just popped up in Dolphin - still refuses to mount at root - error message there is unknown device. I have tried several floppy drives and 2 different cables, so hopefully its not a hardware issue, these devices worked well before with other op systems. TIA Mike

Opteron275HE
04-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Test #6 as root worked from the command line:
disklabel w -r /dev/fd0 fd1440
newfs /dev/fd0
cd /
mkdir /a
mount /dev/fd0 /a
cd /a
cp /etc/motd /a/
ls
"motd"

bjs
04-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Here is a link to the thread that I had started back in March about the problems I was having with mounting the floppy drive with dolphin and what I found.

Only root can mount floppy drive in Hubble (http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=12712)

Opteron275HE
04-28-2010, 06:38 PM
Here is a link to the thread that I had started back in March about the problems I was having with mounting the floppy drive with dolphin and what I found.

Only root can mount floppy drive in Hubble (http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=12712)

Thanks for the all help, I did edit all 3 files you first spoke about also. But the HAL failure is @FreeBSD issue, Chris will understand this, heres the error message again from the desktop: "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.UnknownFailure" concerning the device in question. We can see if this gets fixed in 8.1 or I can load a complete Gnome Desktop and play with that for awhile. I personally love a full xfce window mgr used as a desktop with all the addon's, I would like to see that as a future option in PC-BSD at the 1st install., So I can live with a command line mount of "Floppy" either way. I do need to get this system changed over to a full ZFS file system, and PC-BSD supports snapshots. PC-BSD is currently supporting quad 885 opteron's just fine, so this op-system is a great design for the desktop as a work station or just install Apache and you have got a server platform! Chris has done an excellent job on PC-BSD! Mike