PDA

View Full Version : Samba does not appear to be installed

vanlon
09-18-2009, 05:02 AM
Hey I just installed PC-BSD and want to use Samba but when I click on it in the system settings it says smb.conf file cannot be found make sure Samba is installed. Where do I go from here?

TerryP
09-18-2009, 06:14 PM
You likely have to setup smb.conf. There's usuaully an example file provided in place of a working one, since the contents are specific to your deployment.

The example file would probably be located in /usr/local/share/examples/samba/or in /usr/PCBSD/local/share/examples/samba/ and would go in the corrisponding system directory.

Samba has very extensive documentation describing how to setup the smb.conf file.

vanlon
09-19-2009, 06:40 PM
Well I followed the documentation, installed Samba everything went to plan. When I go to the GUI in System settings the smb.conf file is all greyed out and I can't use it. I try to share a folder and it still says smb server is not installed.

Is everything this painful in BSD?

TerryP
09-19-2009, 06:48 PM
No, just when you mix PC-BSD and FreeBSD stuff like that.

Either use the version of Samba included with PC-BSD, or use the FreeBSD methods of managing the process to deal with the Samba you installed: rather then the PC-BSD specific Services Manager. Things like that is what I meant when I said 'mixing PC-BSD and FreeBSD stuff'.

Also note that depending on whether or not the PF (firewall) is in active, you may have to enable the Samba related stuff in it. (Hint: either use the firewall GUI PC-BSD provides or use only the traditional methods)

vanlon
09-19-2009, 07:14 PM
I wanted to use the PC-BSD Gui system but it was not working, I looked for a Samba PBI but could not find it. That's why I went to the FreeBSD methods. I thought I read Samba was supposed to be included with PC-BSD. Possibly there was a error somewhere and I should do a clean install of PC-BSD

vanlon
09-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Well I did a clean install of PC-BSD and Samba in not installed. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get this thing working. All I want to do is be able to right click a folder and share it... I've spent hours reading through the forum and nothing works.

Thanks

Cobalt
09-19-2009, 11:54 PM
You can get to the Samba configuration tool in the menu under System -> System Settings (Administrator)-> Advanced tab. You'll need to setup the Workgroup to match your other machines then share a folder using the GUI. Make sure you have an IP entry in the Personal Firewall so that your shares get through. Good luck.

vanlon
09-20-2009, 12:12 AM
If I go to the configuration tool it says that smb.conf cannot be found; make sure you have Samba installed. So if I copy a default one there from an example folder in shows up grey'd out in the GUI and I can't edit it. So no luck there.

Cobalt
09-20-2009, 12:45 AM
My Samba configuration accepts both smb.conf and smb.conf.sample. Are you sure that you're running System Settings as root? It should ask you for your password if it is.

vanlon
09-20-2009, 04:30 PM
It does not give me the option to run Samba as root. Besides I need to figure out how to install it first. Terry P says there is a PC-BSD way of getting it up and running. When I figure it out I'll write a guide...

edit...sorry for my noobyness, just needed to run system settings as root and copy the smb.conf file to the right place.

Cobalt
09-20-2009, 08:20 PM
That's the thing, Samba should be installed by default. I wouldn't even know how to go about uninstalling it from PC-BSD. Maybe ripping its files out with a root file manager... Try this: go to the menu, go to System -> Terminal then type in: kdesu systemsettings

Now it should ask you for your password.

TerryP
09-20-2009, 08:54 PM
@Cobalt follow the runports trail down the rabbit hole and it will make itself known in time.

vanlon
09-22-2009, 01:49 AM
Hmmm... So now I have a folder shared (it shows a globe on the icon) and I have a user name added. I also disabled PF, should I not see this folder on a windows machine now?

Cobalt
09-22-2009, 07:08 PM
should I not see this folder on a windows machine now?
Depends if your workgroup name and other settings are configured correctly.

zloi
09-23-2009, 12:58 PM
how can i install a driver in pc-bsd?

Cobalt
09-24-2009, 12:20 AM
You probably should've started a new post, but... well, it depends on the driver. What do you need the driver for?

greyulv
04-06-2010, 05:48 AM
If I go to the configuration tool it says that smb.conf cannot be found; make sure you have Samba installed. So if I copy a default one there from an example folder in shows up grey'd out in the GUI and I can't edit it. So no luck there.

OK just installed a fresh copy of 7.1.1 and found out the following to resolve the issue with the System Settings > Advanced > Samba smb.conf missing.

I determined that the settings in the following file determine the settings for Samba and PCBSD 7.1.1:

/usr/PCBSD/local/etc/smb.conf

To link to the GUI I created the following folder:

mkdir /etc/samba

The last step was to create a symbolic link to the first file as follows:

ln -s /usr/PCBSD/local/etc/smb.conf .

make sure you are already in the /etc/samba dir and that you do the work as root

I hope this is resolved in PCBSD 8, Good Luck!