PDA

View Full Version : Installation Error

xaxo
09-20-2008, 06:49 AM
Hello everyone. I am newbie to PCBSD but I like it very much and wanted to migrate from Windows to BSD. I have two HDD(both are SATA 200G and 80G) which are NTFS formated and the one that I am trying to instal PCBSD is with WinXP with two slices 40G and 120G. When i'm trying to install PCBSD from the boot CD it comes up with the following error

acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x02 ascq=0x00
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0 GEOM_LABEL
g_vfs_done(): acd[READ (offset = 3278, lenght = 2048)] error = 5
ls: /dev/da*: No such file or directory
Error mounting installation image!!!
Please report this problem to PCBSD support.

any help will be greatly appreciated!

TerryP
09-20-2008, 06:43 PM
I would post on the mailing lists or add a bug to trac.pcbsd.org, where the developers are more likely to see it.

litlfrog
09-20-2008, 10:52 PM
I'm getting the same error. The first install of PC-BSD failed (could only boot in safe mode), so I'm trying to reinstall. I've got a hard drive with one big, blank FAT32 partition. When I try to boot from the PC-BSD install CD, I get a similar error during boot.

Any advice?

xaxo
09-22-2008, 08:51 AM
I've searched trough a several knowledge bases and it seems that my DVD (Optiarc) is not supported by the kernel, thats why the kernel cannot mount the /dev/da* and installation image. Any suggestions how to fix that?

TerryP
09-22-2008, 09:49 PM
shutdown, unplug, yank unsupported drive, insert supported drive, plug in, power up, continue as previous.

xaxo
09-23-2008, 05:32 AM
shutdown, unplug, yank unsupported drive, insert supported drive, plug in, power up, continue as previous.
:lol:
that's what i did but you don't expect people to buy "supported" drives for the only one reason - to install pcbsd, do you?

graedus
09-23-2008, 04:31 PM
but you don't expect people to buy "supported" drives for the only one reason - to install pcbsd, do you?

Yes I do.

As long as hardware manufacturers don't support open standards, release good documentation, and stop releasing only binary blobs, that's the way it works.

I've custom built/purchased for FreeBSD, and will do it again.

TerryP
09-23-2008, 11:32 PM
No I don't, unless the person intend on using them for more then a $20+ paper weight ;-)

UNIXman
09-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Hello,

I have similar problem. While trying to install 7.0, (it can be either dvd or cd, the output is the same) it does not show any GUI and instead it says:

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md/0
Error mounting install image!!!
Please report this problem to PC-BSD support!
Please ENTER to reboot

xaxo
09-24-2008, 07:28 PM
did you saw the article?

TerryP
09-24-2008, 07:33 PM
the what?

MatisseGroening
09-26-2008, 09:49 PM
The new BSD 7 isn't what the BSD you knew was. It was a little too much for all of them, including FreeBSD(7).

Since the Beta1 was a joke and then this quick release. Forget BSD now. On a PC mabye, but on a Notebook it will never run. They didn't try much in bugfixing, because they couldn't. Better update BSD 1.51 with KDE 4. There should be a manual. Except you need USB WLAN. But this also is more having problems than working, I'm afraid.

This is too 'big' for them. Not even a generic CD/DVD driver. What did you care about, BSD? Being like Vista? There you need the mainboard CD, then you can install it from DVD.

TerryP
09-27-2008, 03:12 AM
In all fairness, to my eyes it looks like you are talking more so about 4.4BSD ! lol.

Ah well, at least FreeBSD 7 is rock solid and a good improvement over FreeBSD 6.3

kmoore134
11-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Here's what you can do to help determine if for sure you are running into a problem with an unsupported DVD/CD drive:

Boot the disk, and at the loader menu, choose "Single User Mode" (Option 4 I believe)

At the shell prompt, run these commands:

# ls /dev/*cd*

Do you have any *cd* devices? If so, try to mount it and see if that can pass:

# /sbin/mount_cd9660 /dev/acd0 /mnt
(change acd0 to your device)

If it does mount, and you can cd to /mnt and see files, then please let me know what device name you used at kris@pcbsd.org so we can add it to the list of devices searched.

If you cannot find a *cd* device or mount it, then that means FreeBSD 7.x is most likely missing support for your particular drive. You can file a report here: http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html, and let them know your make / model of drive and motherboard and hopefully they can get support put in quickly.

A workaround though is to try the USB install method. Download the USB image, and copy it to your flash drive with this command:

# dd if=<usbfile> of=<device> bs=1m

Then plugin the device, and go into your BIOS during bootup. Usually you have to go into your hard disk boot order section, and put the USB flash drive as the first disk, so that it boots from it. (I do on my 3 systems here anyway)

TerryP
11-03-2008, 05:34 PM
If it does mount, and you can cd to /mnt and see files, then please let me know what device name you used at kris@pcbsd.org so we can add it to the list of devices searched.

[hopes-hes-putting-his-foot-in-his-mouth]

Shouldn't this list already include acd, cd, scd, and therefor just about everything FreeBSD should see as a cdrom device besides players like mcd devices?

[/hopes-hes-putting-his-foot-in-his-mouth]

kmoore134
11-03-2008, 06:10 PM

[hopes-hes-putting-his-foot-in-his-mouth]

Shouldn't this list already include acd, cd, scd, and therefor just about everything FreeBSD should see as a cdrom device besides players like mcd devices?

[/hopes-hes-putting-his-foot-in-his-mouth]

Yea, it does look for acd* cd* devices, which should be all the atapi / scsi ones. But I always ask, just in case we find some new device out of the blue :)

TerryP
11-03-2008, 11:28 PM
I was hoping you would say that :-)

paralitic
11-07-2008, 07:03 PM
So how can I see what is the name of my CD-ROM in system?

TerryP
11-07-2008, 07:19 PM
# ls /dev/*cd*
-> look for devices matching '*cd*' wild card, then compare
against man pages to see what they are.

# atacontrol list
-> list all (P)ATA devices, sorted by drive channel
N.B. this will include all PATA/EIDE devices
(e.g. hard drives)

# dmesg | grep cd
-> search boot messages for lines matching 'cd', usually
mentions the device in /dev by basename (e.g. acd0) and
a comment about it's abilities.

Example outputs from my system:

dixie# ls /dev/*cd*
/dev/acd0 /dev/cd0 /dev/cdrom
dixie# atacontrol list
ATA channel 0:
Master: ad0 <HTS541080G9AT00/MB4VA60A> ATA/ATAPI revision 6
Slave: no device present
ATA channel 1:
Master: acd0 <PHILIPS DVD+/-RW SDVD8441/PA48> ATA/ATAPI revision 0
Slave: no device present
atacontrol: ioctl(IOCATADEVICES): Device not configured
dixie# dmesg | grep cd
acd0: DVDR <PHILIPS DVD+/-RW SDVD8441/PA48> at ata1-master UDMA33
acd0: FAILURE - INQUIRY ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00
cd0 at ata1 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
cd0: <PHILIPS DVD+-RW SDVD8441 PA48> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
cd0: 33.000MB/s transfers
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
dixie#

Which is a laptop with a single DVD burner.

FlameElement
02-14-2009, 09:20 PM
I have the same problem with error:

I tried to install FreeBSD as well but the installer said there is no CD/DVD.

Is this mean that BSD is not recognizing my optical drives (i tried with pioneer DVR-111L and NEC). If it so I'll go to buy appropriate device but is there any list of supporting cd and dvd devices. I looked the handbook but i don't find any?

10x.

TerryP
02-16-2009, 03:56 AM
I would have to see the scripts source to figure that out (hey, I just hang out here, I don't code for them ^_^)

'da' devices use the SCSI direct access device driver, so basically SCSI and USB based drives use the da driver. An optical drive like CD-ROM / DVD-ROM would be either 'cd' or 'acd' depending on it's access (and the installed version of PC-BSD should permit access via cd, acd, and cdrom names)