PDA

View Full Version : KVM Mouse problem

jdarnold
09-22-2005, 02:02 PM
This is not a problem unique to PC-BSD, but rather a FreeBSD-wide problem, but I was wondering if anyone here had a solution. Basically, the mouse doesn't work for me, as I use a Belkin KVM (Keyboard/Video/Mouse) switch to switch between my 4 computers. I get put into the graphical installation screen just fine, but my mouse is just not recognized.

Like I said, I'm not sure this has ever worked with FreeBSD. Then again, I've never had a problem with it on any flavor of Linux or Windows. I'd really like to have a FreeBSD workstation, though.

jamiefoxer
09-22-2005, 04:58 PM
talking about mouses, my TouchPad on my Dell Inspiron used to work with early PCBSDs. As of PCBSD .8.1, it doesn't work.

Anybody got ways to fix it? Is it a config issue on the X server config section regarding mouses?

markg
09-23-2005, 12:04 PM
This is not a problem unique to PC-BSD, but rather a FreeBSD-wide problem, but I was wondering if anyone here had a solution. Basically, the mouse doesn't work for me, as I use a Belkin KVM (Keyboard/Video/Mouse) switch to switch between my 4 computers. I get put into the graphical installation screen just fine, but my mouse is just not recognized.

I have a USB KVM switch, and I'm having the same problem, but not only that, I noticed that it's with USB keyboard & mouse... I tried Knoppix Linux and it detected the mouse & keyboard just FINE from the USB KVM switch, so I know this is a FreeBSD. Reason I know this, is because I also tried with Freesbie and it didn't detect my mouse/keyboard either.

ctucker
02-11-2006, 03:45 AM
I also use a Belkin KVM switch. I have a Logitech cordless optical mouse (this is a USB mouse connected to the KVM switch with a PS/2 adapter). The mouse has 2 buttons and a scroll wheel.

My problem is that the scroll wheel works fine right after bootup but, it stops working after a while (sometimes 10 minutes, sometimes 2 hours). I don't think this is a PCBSD issue because I had the same problem with a generic FreeBSD/GNOME install a few days ago.

In the generic install I had to edit the xorg.conf file to configure the ZAxisMapping and tell the X server that I was using a 5-button mouse. I new to PCBSD. Where should I look for the equivalent X server config file in PCBSD?

gnutux
02-11-2006, 05:14 PM
odd, check your XFree86Config file that everything is correct. Mouses work here. If it didn't I wouldn't run PCBSD at all.

gnutux

jdarnold
02-11-2006, 05:35 PM
In my case, it has started working, sort of. If, when I reboot, I make sure I'm swapped *away* from my PCBSD computer, when I swap back, the mouse seems to be recognized just fine.

Dunno whats up with that! As for the mouse wheel - I can't say as I normally use it anyway, so I'd probably never know if it was gone!

markg
02-13-2006, 01:11 PM
actually, I found that it wasn't my kvm switch, it's the actual usb device on my box that doesn't seem to work properly with freebsd. As soon as I plug in the usb keyboard directly to my box, I get a crazy kernel error, and it panics and dies.

as for my USB KVM switch, it works on my other FreeBSD 6.0-release desktop with my linux laptop as my other device fine, except that the USB kvm switch has 2 little pictures on the bottom. I didn't know that the keyboard had to go on the right side and the mouse on the left side of the KVM switch.

ctucker
02-17-2006, 10:32 PM
I'm not sure what's really gong on in my case. Since my last post I've switched back to a generic FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE system with KDE. I updated the ports tree and ALL of my installed ports. (A very long process indeed!)

Anyway, I edited /etc/X11/xorg.conf as before.

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
Option "Buttons" "5"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

After reboot, the scroll wheel worked for several hours...now it doesn't. Any ideas?

popey
02-17-2006, 10:40 PM
If you're using xorg 6.9 the ZAxisMapping and Buttons options are no longer needed as your mouse configuration should be auto detected. In fact they are more likely to cause problems with x rather than solve them.