PDA

View Full Version : How to install Ports Tree from Internet ?

prakash
08-06-2008, 03:25 AM
Hello everybody,

Here I have installed PC- BSD in my notebook and I am using this operating system since 3 month and is really good operating system for us like BSD users. But you know I tried to install ports in PC-BSD it always asks CD2 which I donnot have and even I donot like to search the CD and install so I want to install through the internet. So please give some idea to install the PORTS Tree from internet. For your kind information I tried from sysinstall command as well but could make it. So please suggest me what to do next.

Prakash

TerryP
08-06-2008, 08:15 PM
open a root session in the konsole program and use portsnap.

to install ports tree:

portsnap fetch extract

to update ports tree files:

portsnap fetch update

Note that that will only update files in /usr/ports, not the installed software -- for that you may want to check out the portmaster or portupgrade programs.

For details on working with ports, check the PC-BSD Quick Guide and FreeBSD handbook, they are a great starting point.

jnixon
04-15-2009, 06:15 PM
This is no longer the case, my reply in the linked post should clear things up...
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13325&p=80059#p80059 (http://forums.pcbsd.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13325&p=80059#p80059)

the simple solution:
type 'runports' at the command line (without the quotes), before trying to install anything from ports.